Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Comprender vs entender (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4722)

Ashis July 24, 2009 10:16 AM

Comprender vs entender

I am little bit confused about the words 'comprender and aprender' :thinking:.
Both words are same in meaning but are their use in a sentence is same ? if it is 'no' then where should I put comprender and where should I put entender? please help.

AngelicaDeAlquezar July 24, 2009 10:40 AM

"Comprender" and "entender" (both meaning to understand) are perfectly exchangeable for me.

"Aprender" is to learn.

CrOtALiTo July 24, 2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashis (Post 43068)
I am little bit confused about the words 'comprender and aprender' :thinking:.
Both words are same in meaning but are their use in a sentence is same ? if it is 'no' then where should I put comprender and where should I put entender? please help.

Look, I've understood that are used during a sentence when you're trying to learn something, I mean.

If you want use them, therefore, you've use them of the following way.

Comprendo lo que me estas diciendo.

But the different in English, is that the words are exchange between themselves.

I don't understand the you're telling me.

Now in this another instance.

I want to learn Spanish.

Quiero aprender Español.

I hope you can understand me.

irmamar July 24, 2009 01:27 PM

Both "entender" and "comprender" are synonymous in most occasions, though "entender" has more meanings than "comprender.

However, there is a very slight difference between them. That difference is more psychological or philosophical than merely semantic. When you use "comprender" in some circumstances, you share a part from you with your speaker. For instance, I could say:

Te entiendo pero no te comprendo: I understand your words, but I don't share your opinion.

I hope you'll understand me, though maybe my thoughts no son comprendidos :)

CrOtALiTo July 24, 2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 43093)
Both "entender" and "comprender" are synonymous in most occasions, though "entender" has more meanings than "comprender.

However, there is a very slight difference between them. That difference is more psychological or philosophical than merely semantic. When you use "comprender" in some circumstances, you share a part from you with your speaker. For instance, I could say:

Te entiendo pero no te comprendo: I understand your words, but I don't share your opinion.

I hope you'll understand me, though maybe my thoughts no son comprendidos :)

Yes, I can understand you, in fact, you speak to a way very interesting, because you're very diplomatic, I like your way to express the things.:D

irmamar July 25, 2009 01:46 AM

Crotalito, you're so kind :rose:

laepelba July 25, 2009 06:16 AM

Would it be correct to say that "comprender" would be like "comprehend" in English? Whereas "entender" would be more like "understand" in English? I feel like they are synonymous and interchangeable to a point, but "comprehend" has a deeper feel to it than "understand".

Ex:
I understand what you are saying.
She truly comprehends the gravity of her situation.

Does this subtlety exist with these two words in Spanish?

chileno July 25, 2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 43168)
Would it be correct to say that "comprender" would be like "comprehend" in English? Whereas "entender" would be more like "understand" in English? I feel like they are synonymous and interchangeable to a point, but "comprehend" has a deeper feel to it than "understand".

Ex:
I understand what you are saying.
She truly comprehends the gravity of her situation.

Does this subtlety exist with these two words in Spanish?

Yes Ma'am.

Can you comprehend my point of view in translating? :showoff:

laepelba July 25, 2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 43171)
Yes Ma'am.

Can you comprehend my point of view in translating? :showoff:

Sí, señor ... but I want to move toward using Spanish definitions of Spanish words...... :)

chileno July 25, 2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 43172)
Sí, señor ... but I want to move toward using Spanish definitions of Spanish words...... :)

Of course, but how do you do that if you do not know the words in English and do not translate?

What was first the chicken or the egg? :cool:

Assuming you are not 5 years old and do not read or write...