Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Dejar de ver la paja en el ojo ajeno (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8693)

poli August 10, 2010 06:35 AM

Dejar de ver la paja en el ojo ajeno

..que hay una viga enmorme en el nuestro.
I think this means stop looking at the flies on others. There's a bear on your back.
Is this an international phrase or Spain specific.

Perikles August 10, 2010 07:26 AM

Matthew 7:3
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

I think it's quite European ....

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 10, 2010 08:06 AM

It has a religious origin, so I think it's rather universally used.
Very popular in Mexico at least.

Perikles August 10, 2010 08:16 AM

the ojo ajeno is a translation of the eye of your brother (αδελφός) and continues with υποκριτά, hypocrite!

poli August 10, 2010 09:00 AM

I thougth brother in Greek is philo and eyes had something to do with
optho

Perikles August 10, 2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 91277)
I thougth brother in Greek is philo and eyes had something to do with
optho

The transliterated Greek (w=omega) is

ti de blepeis to karphos to en tw ophthalmw tou adelphou sou, ten de en tw sw ophthalmw dokon ou katanoeis;

why do you see the chip/twig in the eye of brother your, but the in the your eye joist/beam not notice?

There are various words for brother, but none with phil-. This one, a-delphos, means literally same-womb

JPablo August 10, 2010 01:35 PM

Wow, Perikles, yours is a never ending river of cybernetic eloquence... :)

@poli, I take that normally we love our brothers... and sisters... So I understand your association. Random House gives, philo-,
a combining form appearing in loanwords from Greek, where it meant “loving” (philology); on this model, used in the formation of compound words (philoprogenitive).
Also, esp. before a vowel, phil-.
[< Gk, comb. of philos loving, dear]

We can coin a new term "philotomissimus" or "filotomísimos" with all its derivated forms, "filotomísimo: miembro activo y creativo de Tomísimo, quien contribuye activamente en los debates de este gran tomo..." (Subject to edition by the overall consensus and/or higher authorities...) ;) :)

pjt33 August 10, 2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 91276)
the ojo ajeno is a translation of the eye of your brother (αδελφός) and continues with υποκριτά, hypocrite!

Bueno, "actor", pero del contexto parece que ya tenía connotaciones de hipocresía.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 91277)
I thougth brother in Greek is philo and eyes had something to do with optho

Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love, but you're assigning the wrong half of the word to "brother".

poli August 10, 2010 02:27 PM

Sí, lo adivinaste.