Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Can someone translate these lyrics? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6165)

ItsThaMonsta November 13, 2009 08:55 PM

Can someone translate these lyrics?

Thanks in advance... song by marc anthony... tan solo palabras.

Créeme que no existen otras vidas

<snip>

Tomisimo November 14, 2009 09:25 AM

Hi ItsThaMonsta,

For legal reasons, you can't post copyrighted material, including song lyrics, here. If you want to translate the lyrics yourself, and you are having problems with specific parts, you can ask for help and post a small snippet of the song (a few lines), since that would be considered fair use.

ItsThaMonsta November 14, 2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 61522)
Hi ItsThaMonsta,

For legal reasons, you can't post copyrighted material, including song lyrics, here. If you want to translate the lyrics yourself, and you are having problems with specific parts, you can ask for help and post a small snippet of the song (a few lines), since that would be considered fair use.

Understandable... But I think I have this song figured. And after listening to it a ton of times I can recite it without thinking about what im saying in english... and its feeling natural.. I have done this with about 3 songs and its now easier for me to "hear" other songs, even if a lot of the words used having meaning that I dont know.... This music stuff is working. :)

Tomisimo November 14, 2009 11:17 AM

That's good. Music can definitely help you learn language!

ItsThaMonsta November 14, 2009 02:05 PM

Actually I do have a question on a part that was the hardest for me to translate.

Que se va se va, la vida se te va
entre suenos y promesas y palabras, palabras

The second line is easy to translate but I added it just in case it links to the first. But I take this as "that goes and goes, the life goes to you... between dreams and promises and words, words.

Anyone want to make a better assertion of it?

pjt33 November 14, 2009 03:03 PM

That it goes, it goes, your life passes you by.

The closest to a literal translation of "La vida se te va" is "Your life goes". (¿Alguien quiere comentar si es dativo posesivo o dativo ético?)

irmamar November 15, 2009 10:57 AM

"Te" es objeto indirecto.

"Se" de "irse" es un morfema de valor aspectual incoativo que aparece con verbos intransitivos con sentido de movimiento.

Perikles November 15, 2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 61597)
"Te" es objeto indirecto.

"Se" de "irse" es un morfema de valor aspectual incoativo que aparece con verbos intransitivos con sentido de movimiento.

Please don't think I'm challenging your Spanish grammar :eek:, but why is 'te' an indirect object? I would have said it was an ethic dative. :thinking:

As for 'se' - that is exactly what I would have said. :D

irmamar November 15, 2009 11:18 AM

Se me va la vida a mí.
Se te va la vida a ti.
Se le va la vida a él.
etc.

"Te", indirect object, pronoun with the possibility of duplication. :)

An ethic dative is not a part of the verb, it is compatible with almost all the verbs and it is possible to be added to any clause. There is only the clitic (? forma clítica) form and there can't be duplication:

El niño no me come (the child does not eat)
¿El niño no me come a mí? :thumbsdown: That's not possible :D

And I'm sure you'd have said the same (if you were Spanish, of course) :D

Perikles November 15, 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 61599)
Se me va la vida a mí.
Se te va la vida a ti.
Se le va la vida a él.
etc.

"Te", indirect object, pronoun with the possibility of duplication. :)

An ethic dative is not a part of the verb, it is compatible with almost all the verbs and it is possible to be added to any clause. There is only the clitic (? forma clítica) form and there can't be duplication:

El niño no me come (the child does not eat)
¿El niño no me come a mí? :thumbsdown: That's not possible :D

And I'm sure you'd have said the same (if you were Spanish, of course) :D

Thanks, Irma, a comprehensive answer as always. I wonder whether the concept of indirect object is different in Spanish and English, but I can see the difference between that and an ethic dative. (I think.) :)