Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Gustar?? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6344)

hola November 28, 2009 07:01 PM

Gustar??

no fue una chica que gusté

is this how you say she wasn't a girl that liked me?

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 28, 2009 07:40 PM

She wasn't a girl that liked me: No era una chica a la que (yo) le hubiera gustado.

Yo no le gustaba a esa chica.
That girl didn't like me.

Yo nunca le gusté a esa chica.
That girl never liked me.

hola November 29, 2009 12:00 AM

doesn't/wouldn't no era una chica a la que yo le hubiera gustado mean she wasn't a girl that WOULD HAVE liked me??? if it does then i can easily understand y gustado is used. otherwise i can't. and y the subjunctive??????

Jubilee November 29, 2009 08:55 AM

You can think of it something like "I wasn't someone that was pleasing to that girl" You are the subject because that is the way gustar works, inside out to English

Jubilee November 29, 2009 08:58 AM

oops sorry my reply inappropriate, you are just asking about the subjunctive. I'll be interested in the answer to that also!

hola November 29, 2009 09:05 AM

right but doesn't hubiera gustado mean WOULD HAVE liked???? and y the subjunctive???? my intentions were just to say she wasn't a girl that liked me. no fue una chica q yo le gusté

Perikles November 29, 2009 09:33 AM

The subjuctive is used with verbs and expressions denoting an emotional reponse or value judgement:

Me alegro de que hayas tenido éxito
I'm glad you were successful

In the above example, there is nothing uncertain about the success - it has happened. But the 'alegro' requires a subjunctive.

Presumably, 'gustar' also expresses an emotional response. :)

irmamar November 29, 2009 01:12 PM

No era una chica a la que le gustara.

Look:

Era una chica a la que le gustaba.
Era una chica a la que no le gustaba.

No era una chica a la que le gustara.

Sometimes, in some sentences, subjunctive is used when you use the negative form. Actually I don't know the reason why this "no" at the beginning of the sentence provokes the change of the mode, but it's like this. :)

Te gusta el verbo... gustar, ¿verdad? ;) :D

Perikles November 29, 2009 01:21 PM

My grammar book says the subjunctive is used with negated expressions of thinking or saying:

No creo que sea importante

But that doesn't explain the above. :thinking:

irmamar November 29, 2009 01:33 PM

There are some kind of sentences where subjunctive is used with the negative form as well:

- with imperative sentences:

Ven
No vengas.

- with some compound sentences when the subject of the main clause is different from the subordinate (well, in this case there isn't the negative form :thinking: :D ):

A mí me gusta ir a pasear.
A mí me gusta que tú vayas a pasear.

- etc.

:)