Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Negarse en redondo (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5916)

ROBINDESBOIS October 24, 2009 04:45 AM

Negarse en redondo

To negarse en redondo literraly to refuse in round, means that thereĀ“s not a single chance that he would change his mind.

poli October 26, 2009 11:13 AM

to categorically refuse

Cloudgazer October 26, 2009 11:16 AM

to fully refuse
to completely refuse

poli October 27, 2009 11:39 AM

a flat-out denial

Perikles October 27, 2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 58208)
to categorically refuse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudgazer (Post 58211)
to fully refuse
to completely refuse

I know I am in the minority here, but anybody learning British English should know that splitting the infinitive is not regarded as very good. (The infinitive in English is two words, and splitting the infinitive is to put an adverb between them, such as to categorically refuse). To me, this sounds terrible, and I would say to refuse categorically.

hermit October 27, 2009 12:49 PM

hi perikles - i couldn't agree more, technically, on split infinitives.
i learned english grammar in the U.S., and recall clearly many teachers
making reference to "colloquially acceptable" usage and "correct English".
i always kept that in mind when writing essays in the high school/college years.

good advice - hermit

irmamar October 27, 2009 12:51 PM

Perikles, would you mind to explain to me what "splitting infinitive" means? :thinking: Thanks :) I guess that that means to write something between "to" and the verb (because of the context, but that's all)

poli October 27, 2009 01:35 PM

Splitting infinitives is gramatically incorrect.
example:
to love is an infinitave
to freely love is a split infinitive (grammar teachers will tell you this is incorrect):bad:
to love freely - is gramatically correct

There are some instances in which splitting the infinitive sounds better, and in those instances the gramatically correct method is harder to understand.
example: to fully disagree (sounds better but according to the gramatical law it's incorrect.:thumbsup::thumbsdown:
to disagree fully:thumbsup:(but it sound wierd)

hermit October 27, 2009 02:22 PM

right - north american usage takes lyrical license when it sounds better.

hermit

Perikles October 27, 2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 58332)
Perikles, would you mind to explain to me what "splitting infinitive" means? :thinking: Thanks :) I guess that that means to write something between "to" and the verb (because of the context, but that's all)

@Poli has explained it well. It does not really depend on the context, it is a general rule. The infinitive of any verb in English is two words, to love, to shoot, to fight, to think. The idea is that these two words may not be split, they must stay together. You may not put a word between 'to' and 'fight', so you may not say 'to bravely fight' (which sounds terrible to me!) but you have to say 'to fight bravely'

(P.S. would you mind to explain :bad: would you mind explaining :good:) :)