Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Fueras or eras? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=2033)

hola October 09, 2008 07:39 AM

oh ok good points as usual Rusty and thanks again

CrOtALiTo October 09, 2008 04:55 PM

Then I think that your purposes would to be in the way of to say if someone uses the word Ser or Sera, if the person will has some in the future or is something now, for example.

Yo sere grande.

Tu seras grande

Esto debe ser grande.

Into of the first sentence I will be big and I'm saying that it will be in the future, and the second sentence I'm affirming that you are big, and into of the three options, I'm saying that the object must to be big, here again I'm affirm that that must to be or has the moment the request.

I hope you all are well.

Suavemente October 10, 2008 11:15 AM

Usas "eras" por la forma de imperfecto ....... era, eras, era, éramos, erais, eran..... (eras dormiendo cuando el teléfono soño - you were sleeping when the telephone rang)

Usas "fuera" por el humor subjuntivo pasado.......... fuera, fueras, fuera, fuéramos, fuerais,
fueran(no fuera digno el apuro - it wasn't worth the trouble)

Tomisimo October 11, 2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hola (Post 16861)
don't you think that whether or not somebody is polite is a changeable condition?
a person can be polite now and rude later
a person could have been polite 2yrs ago but is now rude
would you be able to explain this?

You're right, someone can be rude today and polite tomorrow. The fact that you should use ser cortés hinges on the fact that being rude or being polite to a native Spanish speaker is a way of being -- even if it changes from day to day or hour to hour -- rather than a temporary condition, and thus must use ser. That is why it's dangerous to think of ser and estar as meaning permanent and temporary.

It's same with telling time. You use ser. Son las dos de la tarde. But after one second goes by, it's 2:00:01 and it's no longer las dos de la tarde. What is going on? At the moment you say the time, that's what time it is. It's an intrinsic, immutable charactaristic of that moment in time.

Instead of permanent and temporary, think of this:

ser = intrinsic, definitive, charactaristic stuff - what you "are" (even if that can change)
estar = descriptive, subjective, exterior stuff - your current condition (even if that will continue forever)

CrOtALiTo October 11, 2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suavemente (Post 16967)
Usas "eras" por la forma de imperfecto ....... era, eras, era, éramos, erais, eran..... (eras dormiendo cuando el teléfono soño - you were sleeping when the telephone rang)

Usas "fuera" por el humor subjuntivo pasado.......... fuera, fueras, fuera, fuéramos, fuerais,
fueran(no fuera digno el apuro - it wasn't worth the trouble)

An corrections in your post.

(Estabas dormiendo cuando el teléfono sono):good:

Elaina October 11, 2008 07:18 AM

An corrections in your post.

(Estabas dormiendo cuando el teléfono sono):good:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Estabas durmiendo cuando el teléfono sonó.:good:

My :twocents:

Suavemente October 11, 2008 11:35 PM

Está bien..... estoy aprendizaje..... me coloco corregido....

Rusty October 12, 2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suavemente (Post 17042)
Está bien..... estoy aprendizaje..... me coloco corregido....

estoy aprendiendo = I'm learning (verb)
el aprendizaje = learning (noun)

'I stand corrected' is an idiomatic expression. I'm looking for a suitable expression in Spanish.

... :impatient: ... :impatient: ... :impatient: ... Me doy por corregido.

Also:
Retiro lo dicho.
Reconozco mi error.
Acepto la corrección.

Jessica October 12, 2008 09:05 AM

neither. as other people said.