Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Teaching and Learning Techniques (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hardest thing for you learning a new language? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3722)

bobjenkins April 26, 2009 09:18 PM

Hardest thing for you learning a new language?

Hey guys / Qué tal

What was the hardest thing you went through while learning a new language?
Was it actually learning to speak the language? Grammar? Listening? Culture? Writing?

So far I am finding it hardest to listen and understand spanish, writing/reading is easier for me because I just have more time to think :) Anyone finding it harder to write then speak?

thanks / gracías

CrOtALiTo April 26, 2009 10:31 PM

I think that the harder to learn is the listen the news at English and sometimes I spend some time while try to learn the language listening to the people speaks English although, I can understand much more to way write than spook.

ElDanés April 26, 2009 10:58 PM

Personalmente, creo que escribir y construir frases en una nueva idioma es el más difícil.

irmamar April 27, 2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanés (Post 33132)
Personalmente, creo que escribir y construir frases en un nuevo idioma es lo más difícil.

I find listening the most difficult thing when learning English. When I study Italian, the worse thing is writing, because they use a lot of doubled consonants, and Spanish don't. Maybe it depends on the language you're learning.:)

María José April 27, 2009 01:34 AM

For my students the biggest problem when learning English is Listening. Even the advanced ones find it hard to understand films without subtitles.

bobjenkins April 27, 2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 33137)
I find listening the most difficult thing when learning English. When I study Italian, the worse thing is writing, because they use a lot of doubled consonants, and Spanish doesn't. Maybe it depends on the language you're learning.:)

Irmamar, when you are listening to english is it hard to understand because we talk fast or does it seem that english speakers talk slower than spanish speakers?

I think the hardest thing about listening to spanish speakers is that they seem to talk so much faster than english speakers. I guess it's hard to understand a new language at any speed when you first start:)

But writing in spanish seems more simple than english for some reason, maybe its because there are so many weird rules to remember with english, and in spanish the bulk of it is conjugating verbs:thumbsup:

Jessica April 27, 2009 05:25 AM

hearing and speaking in a foreign language is hard for me.
writing, it's not as bad but I can only write in 3 languages.
For other languages, I only know 1 or 2 words that I can recognize or speak :P

For me English seems easier to write than Spanish....

irmamar April 27, 2009 06:14 AM

Sometimes I don't understand English speakers because I think that they don't vocalize, as if they hat something in their mouth (sorry). There are Spanish people who don't vocalize either. I don't know who speaks fast, if Spanish or English speakers, above all because English speakers use a lot of contractions of words and we don't. Anyway, when I have to talk in Spanish to a foreigner in my language, I try to do it slowly and making a good vocalization (and my gestures, of course :), everything is helpful)

ElDanés April 27, 2009 07:29 AM

Muchas gracias por la corrección, irmamar. Creí la palabra idioma fue femenino por su terminación, pero ahora entendo que es irregular como las palabras mano que es femenina y problema que es masculino. :)

chileno April 27, 2009 07:32 AM

When learning English, the hardest thing for me was to beat myself down so that I could continue.

Usually it is one's own mind our worst enemy... :(