Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   "Se te transparenta la falda" (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4987)

FrannyCakes August 10, 2009 03:13 PM

"Se te transparenta la falda"

Hola :),

I was watching the movie Mar Adentro, and as I labored through the Spanish subtitles, I came across this: "Se te transparenta de falda". I really don't follow the grammar behind this line and I was wondering if anyone could explain it to me.

Specifically "Se" and "te" really threw me off. I know it means something like: your skirt ("falda") is transparent ("transparenta"). But that's as much as I can figure out.

What's the literal translation of this line? And why did they use the pronouns "se" and "te"?

Muchas gracias. :)

ROBINDESBOIS August 10, 2009 03:17 PM

Your skirt is transparent = tu falda es tranparente = transparentar
Se te tranparente la falda = transparentarse (reflexive verb) Te ( a tí)
In English, I don´t know . I think you only say your skirt is transparent. In Spanish if you say tu falda es transparente it doen´t imply that you wearing it at the moment of speaking. However, se te transaparenta, means that you´re wearing it at that moment.

bobjenkins August 10, 2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrannyCakes (Post 45667)

I was watching the movie Mar Adentro, and as I labored through the Spanish subtitles, I came across this: "Se te transparenta de falda". I really don't follow the grammar behind this line and I was wondering if anyone could explain it to me.

Specifically "Se" and "te" really threw me off. I know it means something like: your skirt ("falda") is transparent ("transparenta"). But that's as much as I can figure out.

What's the literal translation of this line? And why did they use the pronouns "se" and "te"?

Hola y bienvenido al foro!
transparentarse
Se te transparenta - It is transparentto you

Mar adentro es una buenísima película
Espero que te lo ayude y me encanta tu nombre:):good:

CrOtALiTo August 10, 2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Really I don't know the means of the you're asking us.

But you mustn't believe all the you watch or says in the TV, because sometimes that phrases haven't foundation.

It really doesn't want to says anything important. I mean it doesn't sense.

Tomisimo August 10, 2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

The grammar is similar to something like "se te olvidaron las llaves". "Se olvidaron las llaves" is the same form as a reflexive verb and it is used as a passive tense-- "the keys were forgotten" or litterally in Spanish "las llaves fueron olvidadas", but "se olvidaron las llaves" sounds better. Now, when you add the "te" in there, it means that you (or the person that "te" is referring to) was the beneficiary or the affected person in the deal. So "se te olvidaron las llaves" means that the keys were forgotten and you were the victim. In English we would say "You forgot your keys".

Now, with "se te transparenta la falda". "Se transparenta la falda" means the skirt is transparent/see-though-- "you can see through the skirt. When you add "te" you're saying who was affected by this. So, "se te transparenta la falda" means "You can see through your skirt". :)

bobjenkins August 10, 2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 45684)
The grammar is similar to something like "se te olvidaron las llaves". "Se olvidaron las llaves" is the same form as a reflexive verb and it is used as a passive tense-- "the keys were forgotten" or litterally in Spanish "las llaves fueron olvidadas", but "se olvidaron las llaves" sounds better. Now, when you add the "te" in there, it means that you (or the person that "te" is referring to) was the beneficiary or the affected person in the deal. So "se te olvidaron las llaves" means that the keys were forgotten and you were the victim. In English we would say "You forgot your keys".

Now, with "se te transparenta la falda". "Se transparenta la falda" means the skirt is transparent/see-though-- "you can see through the skirt. When you add "te" you're saying who was affected by this. So, "se te transparenta la falda" means "You can see through your skirt". :)

Tu explicación tiene sentido.:) ¿Es como el verbo gustar, no:?:

Me gusta la gente - la gente= sujeto
Se te olvidaron las llaves - las llaves = sujetos

Tomisimo August 10, 2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 45687)
Me gusta la gente - la gente= sujeto
Se te olvidaron las llaves - las llaves = sujetos

Si, es similar, las llaves son el sujeto de la oración. Lo importante aquí que hay que recordar es que en español se usa el reflexivo para expresar lo que en inglés expresamos con la voz pasiva. (Y lo acabo de usar en esa frase también-- "se usa el reflexivo" = "the reflexive is used")

EmpanadaRica August 10, 2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 45694)
Si, es similar, las llaves son el sujeto de la oración. Lo importante aquí que hay que recordar es que en español se usa el reflexivo para expresar lo que en inglés expresamos con la voz pasiva. (Y lo acabo de usar en esa frase también-- "se usa el reflexivo" = "the reflexive is used")

Sí así es - muy difícil porque suena y siente más natural para nosotros (en holandés también) utilizar la voz pasiva. :)

Supongo que hay que acostumbrarse. :)

Esta manera de expresarse (es decir,en lugar del uso de la voz pasiva) - ¿se puede ver parecida a 'la culpa indirecta' como en 'se me rompe la tetera'?

Tomisimo August 10, 2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica (Post 45699)
Esta manera de expresarse (es decir,en lugar del uso de la voz pasiva) - ¿se puede ver parecida a 'la culpa indirecta' como en 'se me rompe la tetera'?

Yo creo que sí.

chileno August 10, 2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

I was watching the movie Mar Adentro, and as I labored through the Spanish subtitles, I came across this: "Se te transparenta de la falda". I really don't follow the grammar behind this line and I was wondering if anyone could explain it to me.

Aside from all that it has been said, a little correction...