Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tira la caña (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1894)

poli September 12, 2008 06:58 AM

Tira la caña

Can someone help translate this idiom form me?

Incidentally: I would like to express my apreciation for all those who have
helped translate other sayings I have had questions about. :applause:

Estoy dispuesto ayudar traducir cualquier dicho inglés para los hispanoparlantes.:angel:

Tomisimo September 12, 2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 15546)
Estoy dispuesto a ayudar a traducir cualquier dicho en inglés para los hispanoparlantes.:angel:

Creo que no puedo ayudarte con el dicho, pero aquí te van algunas correcioncitas. :)

CrOtALiTo September 12, 2008 11:24 AM

Don't worry Poli.

Can I help you with it.

Look I try of explain you the bet that I can to do it.

Tirar la Caña meaning the following.

We use the word Tirar la Caña when we are fishing in the sea or river, when you're going to fish you take a cane right, that phrase isn't strange, it's a phrase very common and very used in Mexico for the people, is normal that you never have heard this phrase, but as you know, the phrase is in Spanish, but I'll try of translate the phrase in English, remember I'll try to do my better effort, well lets go to the phrase translated, it can to be so (Throw the Cane), I don't know if the phrase is well translated, but good, if you don't considering that the phrase isn't well translate, then I'm sorry, but you later must teach me, How translate the phrase of a way correct, sure if you can to do it, well for now I leave you because I've a lot work today and I'm feeling that I never finish the work in my office take care.

A lot regards for all you.

poli September 12, 2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 15553)
Don't worry Poli.

Can I help you with it.

Look I'll try explain it to you, I bet that I can to do it.

Tirar la Caña meaning the following.

We use the word Tirar la Caña when we are fishing in the sea or river. When you're going to fish you take a rod right? That phrase isn't strange, it's a phrase very commonly used in Mexico .It's normal that you never have heard this phrase, but as you know, the phrase is in Spanish, but I'll try of translate the phrase in English. Remember I'll try to make a better effort. Well, the phrase directly translated is (Throw the Cane). I don't know if the phrase is well translated. If you don't considering that the phrase well translated, then I'm sorry, but you later must teach me, how translate the phrase the correct way if you can to do it. Well, for now I leave you because I've a lot work today, and I'm feeling that I never finish the work in my office. Take care.

A lot regards for all you.

Jorge,
Tra la caña en inglés es cast the rod. Gracias por tu ayuda!

CrOtALiTo September 12, 2008 12:34 PM

Thanks to you, and above me help you are welcome, you know if you need my help only you let me know.

sosia September 12, 2008 01:15 PM

You can use the same for flirting
"voy a tirar la caña a ver si pica alguna" means "I'm gona to cast the rod (and see if a girl bite )"

saludos :D

poli September 12, 2008 01:51 PM

We use cast the rod to see if anything bites in employment situations or sale of property but with the word rod you need to be careful because it can be seen a really vulgar in English when the subject of flirting comes up, because rod in some instances means penis.

PS Sosia, I have hear a related phase in English to what you said its: fishing for a good time starts with throwing in your line