Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Work and job (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4966)

irmamar August 09, 2009 04:11 AM

Work and job

I'd like to have a guide about the use of work and job. Could someone give me some help? Thanks :)

Tomísimo or Rusty, please, could you correct my mistake in the tittle? I forgot a 'k'. Thanks.

EmpanadaRica August 09, 2009 06:47 AM

Hmm let' s see :) (Just my non-native two cents..;))

I guess when you are talking about 'work' it tends to be a little more subjective, whereas the job or your job is more concrete?

For instance if you are talking in more general terms I think you' d be more inclined to use 'work' in English for instance:

' What line of work are you in?'.
'I have to go to work tomorrow so I can' t stay too long'.
'I was given a promotion at work last year'.

Whereas when you are talking about it more concretely you might be inclined to use 'job' usually. For example:

'It' s part of my job to make sure everything runs smoothely in this department'.
'In my job I have to talk and write to people in America a lot because our headquarters are in New York'.
' For this job it' s very important to speak several languages and to know how to use excell'.

So I think 'job' is used more as the summary of all responsibilities, tasks, skills etc that involve being able to do the job, therefore it is more concrete. (For instance it's a 'jobdescription' meaning, all things relevant to describe what the job entails.:))

Also you would use 'job' for a concrete task. e.g.

'We have a job to do!' or
' It' s a dirty job but someone has to do it' (Often used jokingly e.g. when something is actually very pleasant.. :D)

Maybe - but this is something others can answer better - it would be more or less the difference between 'puesto' and 'trabajo' ? (Although 'position' also exists in English for 'puesto' I think).

Native speaker' s opinion? :)

chileno August 09, 2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 45457)
I'd like to have a guide about the use of work and job. Could someone give me some help? Thanks :)

Tomísimo or Rusty, please, could you correct my mistake in the tittle? I forgot a 'k'. Thanks.

Maybe these two links will clarify the concept and its usage.

http://www.wordreference.com/es/tran...p?tranword=job

http://www.wordreference.com/es/tran...?tranword=work

:)

bobjenkins August 09, 2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 45457)

Irmamar debes poder cambiar el titulo cuando haga clic para editar:)

ROBINDESBOIS August 09, 2009 06:46 PM

MUy fácil:
JOb is countable y work is uncountable and then you have some collocations
to be at work, to be out of work, to start work, to finish work etc...
But always a job and some work.

irmamar August 10, 2009 01:00 AM

OK, thanks everybody. :)

I think I'll have to study the examples in wordreference :(

That difference between countable and uncountable with "trabajo" I'm not able to see very clearly, but I'll try :impatient:

Bob, I edited the post, but I couldn't change the tittle, anyway somebody has corrected it (thanks again) :)

EmpanadaRica August 10, 2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 45584)
That difference between countable and uncountable with "trabajo" I'm not able to see very clearly, but I'll try :impatient:

:) Maybe it helps to thnk of the job being more 'concrete' (i.e. the summary of all the tasks that make up the job), and 'work' being more the abstract concept? :)

You can have two jobs, but you can' t have two works - generally you have 'work' to do.. This can be for one job or for several ones.. ;) :)

bobjenkins August 10, 2009 10:19 AM

Irmamar quizás eso te ayuda.

Piensa de "work" como un verbo y "job" como un nombre.

I have a job at the Store over there.
My job is boring.

I need to work for a living
We worked hard at our job

Pero por supuesto no está que sencilla. Si sigues estas reglas pienso que vas a estar entendida por la gente inglés:)

CrOtALiTo August 10, 2009 11:55 AM

I use the word Work when I've to say above a something already made.

I mean.

For instance, I made my work with an excellent end in the square.

I'm going to my job.

It's that I've understood above its means.

brute August 10, 2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 45584)
OK, thanks everybody. :)

I think I'll have to study the examples in wordreference :(

Bob, I edited the post, but I couldn't change the tittle, anyway somebody has corrected it (thanks again) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS (Post 45546)
MUy fácil:
JOb is countable y work is uncountable and then you have some collocations
to be at work, to be out of work, to start work, to finish work etc...
But always a job and some work.

As Robin points out work is not countable. I think this means that work does not usually have a plural, and is an abstract concept.
Work can be a noun or a verb,
so you can say
I work at a job and I have a job of work
but it is wrong to say I job at a work and I have a work of job.. :D