Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Salir al paso (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3485)

poli April 01, 2009 06:56 AM

Salir al paso

Does this mean to worm one's way out of?
Example:Ha salido al paso de las polémica.

chileno April 01, 2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 30459)
Does this mean to worm one's way out of?
Example:Ha salido al paso de las polémica.

No. It means, to obstruct the way, to oppose..

Salir del paso is what you want to use. :)

laepelba April 01, 2009 08:20 AM

Maybe I'm asking about something beyond my ability to understand at this point.... But, out of curiosity ... I understand that "salir del paso" means to obstruct ... and I understand that "polemica" means politics ... and it looks to me like the sentence is in the third person indicative perfect tense. Ugh! So in English, would the example be "It has obstructed the politics" or would it be "the politics have been obstructed"??

poli April 01, 2009 08:26 AM

I think it means weaseled his way out of a dispute. Polémico
means polemic (at opposite poles) not politics. Saliendo del paso,
however, is something a good politician does well.

laepelba April 01, 2009 08:32 AM

Okay - so I had to look up "polemic" in an English dictionary. (Sigh...) It would help my Spanish if I were actually good at speaking English. Anyway - I was getting asking if it was a passive sentence construction. You're saying it's not ... but that someone/something weasled its/his way out of this dispute. So if one of my students wanted to argue with me about a grading policy, I could "salgo del paso de las polémicas" to avoid the conversation that I know will be adversarial.... ??

poli April 01, 2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 30472)
Okay - so I had to look up "polemic" in an English dictionary. (Sigh...) It would help my Spanish if I were actually good at speaking English. Anyway - I was getting asking if it was a passive sentence construction. You're saying it's not ... but that someone/something weasled its/his way out of this dispute. So if one of my students wanted to argue with me about a grading policy, I could "salgo del paso de las polémicas" to avoid the conversation that I know will be adversarial.... ??

You might say hypothetically: Yes the grading system is flawed, but currently as a teacher I am required to follow. In the future maybe we could work together to make the system more reflective of each individual students accomplishments. For now, howvever, we have to follow these guidelines. This would be weaseling your way out of a dispute or
saliendo al paso de la polémica.

laepelba April 01, 2009 08:58 AM

Okay - then I actually do understand. Amazing! :)

chileno April 01, 2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 30470)
Maybe I'm asking about something beyond my ability to understand at this point.... But, out of curiosity ... I understand that "salir del paso" means to obstruct ... and I understand that "polemica" means politics ... and it looks to me like the sentence is in the third person indicative perfect tense. Ugh! So in English, would the example be "It has obstructed the politics" or would it be "the politics have been obstructed"??

Actually Salir al paso would mean to obstruct the way, to come out (someone or a problem) and get in someone's way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 30471)
I think it means weaseled his way out of a dispute. Polémico
means polemic (at opposite poles) not politics. Saliendo del paso,
however, is something a good politician does well.

Exactly, means to get out of a "problem", and usually it means you got out in good standing. And yes, politicians and diplomats do that extremely well. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 30472)
Okay - so I had to look up "polemic" in an English dictionary. (Sigh...) It would help my Spanish if I were actually good at speaking English.

When people, like you, start getting another language, usually the native language also improves. :)

poli April 01, 2009 09:45 AM

Learning Spanish has definitely improved my English vocabulary.

So,salir al paso de means to obstruct
and salir del paso de means to metaphorically swerve. I'll have to remember that.

chileno April 01, 2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 30484)
Learning Spanish has definitely improved my English vocabulary.

Same thing with my Spanisgh. :whistling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 30484)
So,salir al paso de means to obstruct
and salir del paso de means to metaphorically swerve. I'll have to remember that.

Exactly!

Although I would've never used swerve... it seems to fill the purpose as an akin to salir del paso.

Also, salir del paso, means to leave the way free. How about that? :D