Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Snuck / Sneaked (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1313)

Tomisimo May 15, 2008 11:13 PM

Snuck / Sneaked

Do you use snuck or sneaked as the preterit of to sneak? (I am actually in disagreement with someone on this) :D

gatitoverde May 16, 2008 01:10 AM

David, you have a true go, go, gadget forum. ¿Cómo se dice gadget?

Iris May 16, 2008 01:25 AM

I use both ,David. I would say snuck is more colloquial.
A gadget is un cacharro, un aparato.

poli May 16, 2008 05:58 AM

I agree with María Jose because I interchange sneaked and snuck, but I prefer snuck as a simple past tense verb and sneaked as past participle ( I snuck, I have sneaked). There are certain phrases that work better with
sneaked (I sneaked in) but I usually prefer sneaked for the past perfect

Tomisimo May 16, 2008 06:54 AM

Any more opinions on this? ... The person I was arguing with about this prefers sneaked as the simple past tense (preterit) and I prefer snuck.

Marsopa May 16, 2008 07:20 AM

Off the top of my head

I would say that I use snuck more with the first person and sneaked with the third.

:)

Marcos May 16, 2008 07:34 AM

I have always been partial to 'snuck'. Sneaked just sounds odd to me.

LaGata May 16, 2008 07:43 AM

The misuse of this word is one of my pet peeeeeeves!!!!:):eek: It really is "sneaked". However, much like "drug" for "dragged", the word "snuck" has sneaked its way into acceptability in English usage, at least in the U.S. Grrrr....It's okay...I'll get over it:):rolleyes:

Rusty May 16, 2008 08:01 AM

I have always used snuck. I got scared when I consulted the dictionaries, because sneaked was always listed first as the past tense. However, I found this usage note in the American Heritage Dictionary:

Snuck is an Americanism first introduced in the 19th century as a nonstandard regional variant of sneaked. Widespread use of snuck has become more common with every generation. It is now used by educated speakers in all regions. Formal written English is more conservative than other varieties, of course, and here snuck still meets with much resistance. Many writers and editors have a lingering unease about the form, particularly if they recall its nonstandard origins. And 67 percent of the Usage Panel disapproved of snuck in our 1988 survey. Nevertheless, an examination of recent sources shows that snuck is sneaking up on sneaked. Snuck was almost 20 percent more common in newspaper articles published in 1995 than it was in 1985. Snuck also appears in the work of many respected columnists and authors: "He ran up huge hotel bills and then snuck out without paying" (George Stade). "He had snuck away from camp with a cabinmate" (Anne Tyler). "I ducked down behind the paperbacks and snuck out" (Garrison Keillor).

I feel better now.

gatitoverde May 16, 2008 09:31 AM

The change is interesting because I can't think of any analagous -eak or, for that matter, -eek words--- not leak, squeak, peek, creak, seek, reek or anything.

An interesting variant of squeezed used all over Utah is squoze, which drives me batty. It's even extended to the past participle, squozen.