Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Question about what a couple of words might be (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11823)

cwlcwlspanish October 15, 2011 11:12 AM

Question about what a couple of words might be

I'm listening to a audio-only lecture and there are 2 words that I don't know what it means nor their spellings when I heard their pronunciations.

The first one sounds like: "a la bi" or "a la vi"
The second one sounds like: "hall din" or "hal din"

I tried my best to spell them out and tried to check them in the dictionary, but it didn't help cause the dictionary said there are no result that is related to my searches.

Could you guys help me out here?

Rusty October 15, 2011 11:18 AM

The second could be jardín. We need more context. Provide surrounding words (or sounds), please.

cwlcwlspanish October 15, 2011 11:27 AM

Thank you so much for the helping

There is no relating words, the instructor is basically reads out all the words that we learned on the class period that I missed

I went over my textbook and there is no words that sounds like the two that I provided above

I'm sorry for the confusion

By the way, the course I'm in is elementary Spanish

I don't know is this is gonna help or not

Rusty October 15, 2011 07:54 PM

Hmmm. Permit me a couple of thoughts.

English doesn't appear to be your native tongue, so perhaps we should not even try to apply English pronunciation rules to the syllables you've written to represent the sounds you're hearing. Try to use syllables that represent Spanish pronunciation. :)

By the way, there is no difference between the Spanish 'b' and 'v' sounds, so it doesn't make sense that you would use both consonants to represent different sounds.

pjt33 October 16, 2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 117783)
...By the way, there is no difference between the Spanish 'b' and 'v' sounds...

In most Spanish accents. There are exceptions.

Don José October 16, 2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

English doesn't appear to be your native tongue, so perhaps we should not even try to apply English pronunciation rules to the syllables you've written to represent the sounds you're hearing. Try to use syllables that represent Spanish pronunciation. :)
For example, people from Morocco use to have problems with the i and the e when learning to write in Spanish. Chinese ones with l/r.

It would be a help if you can mark the accented syllables.

However, I'll have a try:

jarabe, árabe

chileno October 16, 2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 117785)
In most Spanish accents. There are exceptions.

Right. People from Chile that pronounce "obvio" observing the rules for English... ;)

And started sometime in the 80's or 90's, not sure. :D

That's the only word that I am aware they try to pronounce it "correctly"