Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   English Grammar Pet Peeves (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=12496)

laepelba February 02, 2012 06:48 AM

English Grammar Pet Peeves

1 Attachment(s)
I happened across this on Facebook. Thought you guys might be interested. These are mistakes that native English speakers make with EXTREME regularity...

Have a great day!!

Perikles February 02, 2012 07:08 AM

Well, I don't make any of these mistakes EVER, although I know a lot of people who do.

pjt33 February 02, 2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 121590)
I happened across this on Facebook. Thought you guys might be interested. These are mistakes that native English speakers make with EXTREME regularity...

Have a great day!!

And it makes the mistake I was expecting it to make: most of those "grammar peeves" are nothing to do with grammar. It's curious how few grammar peevists actually know what grammar is.

Cloudgazer February 02, 2012 05:09 PM

Of the ten points, nos. 2, 5 and 9 are the ones I bump into most. :blackeye:

Hearing news anchors and journalists say "your" for "you're" is very provocative for me. ;) In my formative years, the two words were usually spoken with distinct sounds for the "ou" diphthong: the "ou" in "your(s)" sounding like the "o" in "yore" and the "ou" in "you're" sounding like the "ou" in "you". Nowadays, I often hear them pronounced identically.
@Native English speakers: Are these two words pronounced the same way in your area?

And I almost always have to do a double-check with "its". (I think the sense of possession probably subliminally triggers the unaccepted use of the apostrophe.)

Glen February 02, 2012 05:23 PM

Good list. Are any others of you out there as annoyed as I am to hear the trendy "I'm good" (Soy bueno) instead of "I'm doing well" (Estoy bien) in response to the common greeting "How are you?"

caliber1 February 02, 2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen (Post 121629)
Good list. Are any others of you out there as annoyed as I am to hear the trendy "I'm good" (Soy bueno) instead of "I'm doing well" (Estoy bien) in response to the common greeting "How are you?"

Oh my gosh! This list could go on forever:confused: My mother was an English/Grammar teacher. She still will correct me or anyone for that matter if we don't put "ly" after an adverb in certain spots. Por ejemplo:

Mom- How did you do on the test today?
Me- I did bad.
Mom- Badly! You did badly!!!!!!
Me- Stop it nowly. That isn't funnyly. Leave me alonely. The test is overly. . . . .
Well, you get the point. I give her a bad time about it. I mean I give her a badly time about it:lol:

Rusty February 02, 2012 10:19 PM

Yeah, the list is nowhere near complete. That would be an exhaustive task.

I'll bet most native speakers aren't even aware that the preposition 'to', not the conjunction 'and', precedes an infinitive that follows the verb 'try' - "We can try to see if it's still there tomorrow." "If I try to help him, he just scowls at me."

"You're" and "your" are pronounced exactly the same way everywhere I've been. They're considered to be homonyms, just as "they're," "their" and "there" are.

marmoset February 02, 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 121648)
"You're" and "your" are pronounced exactly the same way everywhere I've been. They're considered to be homonyms, just as "they're," "their" and "there" are.

Same here, as far as I've noticed.

I try not to worry about other people's common mistakes, as I know I have a ton of them myself. Although I admit to automatically thinking, "lower education" when I see, "your welcome" etc.

I certainly cannot always use "whom" properly.

I just recently had my mind blown to learn that "laxadaisical" is not a word. It's actually "lackadaisical" and prescriptively pronounced as such, but I have never heard anyone pronounce it "correct". ;) I mean, "correctly".

:)

aleCcowaN February 03, 2012 12:37 AM

If you don't mind me ... my ... saying, this topic deserves a whole nother forum.

laepelba February 03, 2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudgazer (Post 121626)
Hearing news anchors and journalists say "your" for "you're" is very provocative for me. ;) In my formative years, the two words were usually spoken with distinct sounds for the "ou" diphthong: the "ou" in "your(s)" sounding like the "o" in "yore" and the "ou" in "you're" sounding like the "ou" in "you". Nowadays, I often hear them pronounced identically.
@Native English speakers: Are these two words pronounced the same way in your area?

I've never heard of "your" and "you're" being pronounced differently. I grew up in the Buffalo, NY area. We have lots of pronunciation quirks of our own..... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 121652)
If you don't mind me ... my ... saying, this topic deserves a whole nother forum.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: