Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   More on pronouncing "g's".... (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=7014)

laepelba February 05, 2010 10:04 AM

More on pronouncing "g's"....

Before I ask my question, let's start with "ground rules" so that we're all using the same lingo. For the purposes of answering this question, let's say the following:
- when I say "hard g", I mean sounds like the word "agua"
- when I say "soft g", I mean sounds like the word "gente"

Now, on to my question.... :)

I'm reading something about the pronunciation of the present indicative conjugations of the word "seguir". (sigo, sigues, sigue, seguimos, (seguís), siguen). The indication within this reading is that the "g" is pronounced differently in sigues, sigue and siguen. When I say "sigo", I use a hard "g" (like in "agua"). But I use the exact same sound for each of those six conjugations. Is that correct? Or are some of them pronounced differently?

Thanks!!

chileno February 05, 2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 71257)
Before I ask my question, let's start with "ground rules" so that we're all using the same lingo. For the purposes of answering this question, let's say the following:
- when I say "hard g", I mean sounds like the word "agua"
- when I say "soft g", I mean sounds like the word "gente"

Now, on to my question.... :)

I'm reading something about the pronunciation of the present indicative conjugations of the word "seguir". (sigo, sigues, sigue, seguimos, (seguís), siguen). The indication within this reading is that the "g" is pronounced differently in sigues, sigue and siguen. When I say "sigo", I use a hard "g" (like in "agua"). But I use the exact same sound for each of those six conjugations. Is that correct? Or are some of them pronounced differently?

Thanks!!

Yes they are all pronounced the same way. you didn't need to specify the hard or soft "g" in this one.

laepelba February 05, 2010 10:14 AM

I just wanted to make sure to avoid the confusion that was created in a previous discussion when the native Spanish speakers used "hard" and "soft" exactly the opposite of the native English speakers............ :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 05, 2010 10:24 AM

"Ga" - "go" - "gu" are "suaves" (pronounced like "agua")

"Ge" - "gi" are "fuertes" (like in "gente")

"U" between "g" and "e" or "g" and "i" is not pronounced and it makes "g" sound "suave" (like in "agua")

:p :p :p

laepelba February 05, 2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 71271)
"Ga" - "go" - "gu" are "suaves" (pronounced like "agua")

"Ge" - "gi" are "fuertes" (like in "gente")

"U" between "g" and "e" or "g" and "i" is not pronounced and it makes "g" sound "suave" (like in "agua")

:p :p :p

Thanks for those rules ... and, thus, all six forms of "seguir" in the present indicative have the "g" pronounced the same.......

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 05, 2010 11:09 AM

Correct.

When "g" is "fuerte", the change in conjugation needs it to be replaced by a "j". :)

pjt33 February 05, 2010 11:15 AM

After experimenting I conclude that I pronounce them with a different pitch, because my lips are in different positions in preparation for the following vowel (o being more rounded).

Perikles February 05, 2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 71283)
After experimenting I conclude that I pronounce them with a different pitch, because my lips are in different positions in preparation for the following vowel (o being more rounded).

Not wishing to be argumentative, I don't quite see how a consonant can have a pitch.:thinking:

irmamar February 05, 2010 11:39 AM

Maybe this link is useful :)

Compare:

Seguir: siga (usted) - That's what you call "hard" and we call "suave"
Exigir: exija (usted) - And just on the contrary.

Proteger - tejer - the same sound (soft-fuerte)

:)

laepelba February 05, 2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 71287)
Maybe this link is useful :)

YES! That link is wonderful! Thank you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 71287)
Compare:

Seguir: siga (usted) - That's what you call "hard" and we call "suave"
Exigir: exija (usted) - And just on the contrary.

Proteger - tejer - the same sound (soft-fuerte)

:)

I definitely understand those sounds. I was just wondering if there is really a difference in the "g's" in the conjugation of seguir... THANKS!!