Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ballet related vocab - Leotard, Pointe shoes, Ballet slippers, Tap shoes (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4074)

Tomisimo May 23, 2009 04:16 PM

Ballet related vocab - Leotard, Pointe shoes, Ballet slippers, Tap shoes

I'm in need of some specific ballet-related vocabulary. I don't have any other context as of yet. How would you say the following in Spanish?
  • Leotard
  • Pointe shoes
  • Tap shoes
  • Ballet slippers
I have some options from dictionaries etc, but I'd like some native-speaker input as well. :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 23, 2009 06:25 PM

These are the ones that come to my mind:

- Leotard = leotardo (in Mexico, some people call it "payasito")
- Pointe shoes/ballet slippers = zapatillas de ballet
- Ballet bar = barra
- Tutu = tutú
- Tulle = tul
- Bun cover = chonguera ("chongo" is the hair bun)
- Tap shoes: For men "Choclos para tap" / for women: "zapatillas para tap"
- Folklore shoes = Zapatos (for men)/zapatillas (for women) para danza folklórica. For men there are also ankle boots = botines
- Non-slip rubber = suela antiderrapante
- Nails on tip and heel = clavos en punta y tacón
- Dancefloor = pista de baile
- Ballet positions = Posiciones de ballet
- Choreographer - choreography = Coreógrafo - coreografía
- Stage design - stage designer = escenografía - escenógrafo

French words are kept that way.

Tomisimo May 23, 2009 09:18 PM

Thank you so much. That's exactly what I needed.

Question: Are you familiar with the word balerinas as another way of saying zapatillas de ballet?

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 24, 2009 06:31 PM

Right, David. "Balerinas" can be "zapatillas de ballet" and I have also seen it used as "headband". I have also seen it keeping the Italian spelling "ballerina" for both meanings.

Ambarina May 26, 2009 04:00 AM

I think "balerinas" are dance shoes but without the front reinforcement to do points, i.e. the shoes that beginners wear. They're also a type of casual shoe - flat, rounded at the front and often with a thin bow to decorate-that you find in a lot of shoe shops. The reinforced ballet shoe is a zapatilla de ballet.

@Angelica - Some differences in the language. In Spain, Chongo = moño . Tap dance = claqué. So, zapatos de claqué.
Leotardo = malla. RAE definition: Vestido de tejido de punto muy fino que, ajustado al cuerpo, usan en sus actuaciones los artistas de circo, bailarinas, etc.
Leotardos are wool tights (panty hose ?AmE).

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 26, 2009 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree with Ambarina that those "ballet flat" shoes are called "balerinas" by extension.

In Mexico: Mallas = panty hoses (usually made in wool or thicker fabric than the thin nylon used for those considered underwear, while underwear ones are called "pantimedias"). And "leotardo" is the top.

In the photo of "leotardo" there are some hair Scrunchies... we call them "donas", although the more neutral name should be "ligas para el pelo/cabello".