Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Flamenco music (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8830)

JPablo August 27, 2010 11:53 PM

Flamenco music

Giving an example of a "saeta" by Joan Manel Serrat, today, while answering another thread I got into some more "Spanish flamenco music" and I discovered a singer I had never heard.

So I thought of sharing this incredible talent with all our "foreros".

The lyrics use a "standard" Andalusian/flamenco accent... and listening to these, one can practice Spanish and "detect" de differences of accent in relation to "standard" Castilian/Mexican... etc.

Here you have it... (you can listen to the first "introductory" song... and check her in YouTube too...) :thumbsup:
http://www.mariacarrasco.es/

Perikles August 28, 2010 02:57 AM

No doubt an incedible talent, but her voice hurts my ears. Is she really that young? Most of my socks are older than she is. :eek:

JPablo August 28, 2010 11:46 AM

Yes, I must recognize that her voice does not sound like Marvin Gaye... ;) (maybe you have to listen with a lower volume... so her "megahertzs" don't pierce and/or burst your tympanum... or eardrum.)

As far as her age... I know as much as you, here is another of her performances from 2007...

Perikles August 28, 2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 92869)
As far as her age... I know as much as you, here is another of her performances from 2007...

Ouch [fingers in ears smiley]

JPablo August 28, 2010 12:37 PM

Well, you made me search for a lullaby by her... but man, oh, man... there she reaches even higher frequencies... I don't know is that maybe up to 2,000 Khertzs?

At any rate... I looked for some soothing lullabies... and while it is not "flamenco" is Spanish with rather good diction... so here is José Guardiola, singing the year I was born... (with some Dutch? introduction)

Perikles August 28, 2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 92876)
Well, you made me search for a lullaby by her... but man, oh, man... there she reaches even higher frequencies... I don't know is that maybe up to 2,000 Khertzs?

:lol::lol: The human ear can't hear higher than 20 Khz (actually, I can, but I'm not suppose to)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 92876)
At any rate... I looked for some soothing lullabies... and while it is not "flamenco" is Spanish with rather good diction... so here is José Guardiola, singing the year I was born... (with some Dutch? introduction)

I really liked that. Here is an example of my kind of lullaby (but I don't want to go off-topic).

JPablo August 28, 2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 92879)
:lol::lol: The human ear can't hear higher than 20 Khz (actually, I can, but I'm not suppose to)
I really liked that. Here is an example of my kind of lullaby (but I don't want to go off-topic).

:D I meant to say 2,000 hertz! (But it is a good [unwitting] Andalusian hyperbolic joke! (We keep on topic here, as one of the semantic characteristics of Andalusian speech is their tendency to give the most unbelievable exaggerations, they are so exaggerated that... I don't know... "te pue[d]en da[r] 50 mil millone[s] de ehemplo[s]" just to give you one example. ;)

Glad that you liked J. Guardiola. As for your kind of lullaby, wow! beautiful music/voice... even if veering 'slightly' off topic, it still is in comparison with the original posting, although I must recognize I didn't go into the significance and articulation of the lyrics... :)

Elaina August 28, 2010 03:00 PM

She's 15 y/o and I don't particularly like her voice either. She is very pretty though.

:thumbsdown:

JPablo August 28, 2010 03:31 PM

How funny, Elaina!
I think I saw her videos when she was 11 or 12 and I was impressed with her voice! Then I saw the latest site, and yes, she is definitely pretty... but it wasn't really my point... :thinking:
Bueno, "sobre gustos no hay nada escrito".

At any rate, the "fun part" of this, is actually get the "lyrics" and be able to "make out" exactly what is she saying and how is she "standardly eating" consonants... That should be the "drill" to learn Spanish... and/or get more familiar with it. :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 28, 2010 04:49 PM

My husband used to have some kind of interest in Flamenco music, and these are some of the singers he liked:

La Niña de los Peines:

Manolo Caracol:

@Perikles: She had a very nice voice! :)