Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   SAT Writing Question (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5077)

Jessica August 18, 2009 10:07 AM

SAT Writing Question

Part of the following sentence is underlined; beneath the sentence are five ways of phrasing the underlined material. Select the option that produces the best sentence. If you think the original phrasing produces a better sentence than any of the alternatives, select choice A.

The gong, believed to have originated in Western Asia, reached China in the sixth century, where it continues to be used for a wide range of purposes, including as a military signal, a rhythmic accompaniment for vocal performance, and a ritual instrument.

A. including as
B. which include
C. which includes
D. including
E. they include as

I know it can't be A or E. I don't think it's C...it's either B or D. I think it might be B, but I'm not sure.

Fazor August 18, 2009 12:26 PM

You want to look at the word "purposes", since that's what is being described, and make sure your choice matches the case.

I won't give you the answer, but I'm not sure my answer is correct anyway. I think it is, but there's plenty of people here far better able to answer grammar questions. :)

brute August 18, 2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchen (Post 46621)
Part of the following sentence is underlined; beneath the sentence are five ways of phrasing the underlined material. Select the option that produces the best sentence. If you think the original phrasing produces a better sentence than any of the alternatives, select choice A.

The gong, believed to have originated in Western Asia, reached China in the sixth century, where it continues to be used for a wide range of purposes, including as a military signal, a rhythmic accompaniment for vocal performance, and a ritual instrument.

A. including as
B. which include
C. which includes
D. including
E. they include as

I know it can't be A or E. I don't think it's C...it's either B or D. I think it might be B, but I'm not sure.

This is difficult. Is it the range (singlar) or purposes (plural) which does/do the including?:thinking::thinking:

poli August 18, 2009 02:25 PM

I would use b

Jessica August 18, 2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brute (Post 46656)
This is difficult. Is it the range (singlar) or purposes (plural) which does/do the including?:thinking::thinking:

I believe it's purposes...:thinking:

Tomisimo August 18, 2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brute (Post 46656)

I know exactly where you're coming from, is it a "range of purposes that includes x, y, and z" or is it a "range of purposes that include x, y, and z". There is actually a whole linguistic description and area of study concerning this phenomenon, but I don't recall what it's called. While you can argue that it is a singular "range of purposes", most native speakers will see it as plural, so the best answer is "b" the "purposes include", not the "range (of purposes) includes". That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Jessica August 19, 2009 07:50 AM

I chose b but it's wrong; the answer is a.....

Correct Answer: A

Here's Why:

Choice (A) is correct. It avoids the errors of the other options by correctly using the preposition “as” to introduce the “wide range of purposes” for which the gong is used.

brute August 19, 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchen (Post 46740)
I chose b but it's wrong; the answer is a.....

Correct Answer: A

Here's Why:

Choice (A) is correct. It avoids the errors of the other options by correctly using the preposition “as” to introduce the “wide range of purposes” for which the gong is used.

Maybe, but this construction sounds unnaturally cumbersome and clunky to a British ear. Again the examiner favours the word alternatives rather than options. I have aways believed that alternative means a choice of just two mutually exclusive options

Jessica August 19, 2009 11:40 AM

I know, it sounds weird to my ear

sosia August 20, 2009 12:13 AM

I'm sure no english expert, but it sounds me better with an extra "," or","
"The gong, believed to have originated in Western Asia, reached China in the sixth century, where it continues to be used for a wide range of purposes, including as; a military signal, a rhythmic accompaniment for vocal performance, and a ritual instrument.

Saludos :D