Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español

Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   La gramática (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Use of 'y' between adjectives (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8148)

tmember June 04, 2010 12:05 PM

Use of 'y' between adjectives

My book says:

Su perro tiene una nariz pequeña y negra.
His dog has a little black nose.

Is it correct to use 'y' in this sentence?

wafflestomp June 04, 2010 12:51 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por tmember (Mensaje 85325)
My book says:

Su perro tiene una nariz pequeña y negra.
His dog has a little black nose.

Is it correct to use 'y' in this sentence?

Sure, it's totally correct. It's very rare for grammar books to be wrong but questioning it shows you're understanding the language :D

tmember June 04, 2010 01:08 PM

I appreciate your kind response. At this moment I am sad.... I bought an expensive book from Amazon just published this year and it has no reviews yet. It looked very good and is also bilingual so I bought it. But it seems from the very first chapter to have many errors in it.

It's called "First Spanish Reader for Beginners". Would you mind if I type one paragraph from it for you to translate so I can compare your translation to the English translation in the book?

chileno June 04, 2010 01:12 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por wafflestomp (Mensaje 85332)
Sure, it's totally correct. It's very rare for grammar books to be wrong but questioning it shows you're understanding the language :D

In essence is correct...

Consider:

His dog has a little black nose - Su perro tiene una pequeña nariz negra.

His dog has a little and black nose.

wafflestomp June 04, 2010 05:17 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por tmember (Mensaje 85336)
I appreciate your kind response. At this moment I am sad.... I bought an expensive book from Amazon just published this year and it has no reviews yet. It looked very good and is also bilingual so I bought it. But it seems from the very first chapter to have many errors in it.

It's called "First Spanish Reader for Beginners". Would you mind if I type one paragraph from it for you to translate so I can compare your translation to the English translation in the book?

Sure, you can do that. I've never heard of that book but then again I'm not much of a book person. Go ahead and post it up.

And chileno, I see your point, but the sentence isn't "wrong". It isn't like grammatically incorrect, it just doesn't sound well.

chileno June 04, 2010 08:19 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por wafflestomp (Mensaje 85352)
Sure, you can do that. I've never heard of that book but then again I'm not much of a book person. Go ahead and post it up.

And chileno, I see your point, but the sentence isn't "wrong". It isn't like grammatically incorrect, it just doesn't sound well.

Maybe a comma would do the "trick"?

His dog has a little, and black nose.

wafflestomp June 04, 2010 09:27 PM

I don't think that would do it. Come to think of it it looks better without the comma, haha.

chileno June 04, 2010 09:32 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por wafflestomp (Mensaje 85373)
I don't think that would do it. Come to think of it it looks better without the comma, haha.

:):D:lol::lol::lol:

ookami June 04, 2010 10:37 PM

Actually, I believe that the option the book gives would be the most common if you are not translation literally, and it's not a poem.

irmamar June 05, 2010 01:28 AM

A list of adjectives is separated by commas and an "y" at the end:

El perro tiene el hocico pequeño y negro.
La casa está pintada de amarillo, verde y azul.

What about:

The dog's nose is little and black.

:)

La franja horaria es GMT -6. Ahora son las 02:07 AM.

Foro powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.