Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   La mano o sus manos (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=10912)

heze74 May 14, 2011 09:33 PM

La mano o sus manos

I am having an argument with my Venezuelan wife that I hope you can resolve. I was taught in high school Spanish class that when referring to hands, they are considered a unit. For instance, in the sentence 'Todos los niños deben lavarse ... después de comer,' 'la mano' is used rather than 'sus manos.' She insists that I am ridiculous to say 'Todos los niños deben lavarse la mano después de comer.' I understand what may be said on the street, but in official Spanish, who is correct? Would it vary from country to country?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Luna Azul May 14, 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heze74 (Post 110610)
I am having an argument with my Venezuelan wife that I hope you can resolve. I was taught in high school Spanish class that when referring to hands, they are considered a unit. For instance, in the sentence 'Todos los niños deben lavarse ... después de comer,' 'la mano' is used rather than 'sus manos.' She insists that I am ridiculous to say 'Todos los niños deben lavarse la mano después de comer.' I understand what may be said on the street, but in official Spanish, who is correct? Would it vary from country to country?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Neither "la mano" nor "sus manos" is correct. We use "las manos"

Your Spanish teacher taught you a mistake. "Hands" are never considered a singular unit.

As for your wife saying "sus manos" she's probably translating from English.

The correct sentence is "todos los niños deben lavarse las manos después de comer".

;)

Rusty May 15, 2011 12:19 AM

Just to add to what Luna Azul said, it is possible to say 'sus manos' instead of 'las manos'. When the verb is reflexive, however, it is obvious whose hands should be washed, so 'las manos' would be the better choice.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Luna Azul May 15, 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 110614)
Just to add to what Luna Azul said, it is possible to say 'sus manos' instead of 'las manos'. When the verb is reflexive, however, it is obvious whose hands should be washed, so 'las manos' would be the better choice.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Of course "las manos" is correct in other contexts. I was referring to this particular sentence.. ;). But yes, you're right.. :applause:

Torres May 15, 2011 10:34 PM

la mano, la(s) mano(s). If you say "todos los niños deben lavarse la mano" you are saying "all the kids must wash THE hand"

poli May 16, 2011 05:25 AM

Sometimes in spoke Latin American SPanish the s of las and of manos is left out or substituted with an h.

Luna Azul May 16, 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 110675)
Sometimes in spoke Latin American SPanish the s of las and of manos is left out or substituted with an h.

That's a matter of accent and it's always understood it's "las manos" :)