Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Boletos loteria or billetes lotería (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5384)

beaudoin leblanc September 15, 2009 11:15 AM

Boletos loteria or billetes lotería

My son and I are in a discussion about the correct translation for the term 'lottery tickets', or 'lotto tickets'. What is the best or more correct term to use? We are trying to say 'I will buy lottery tickets, or 'I buy lottery tickets.'

He says that the translation is 'boletos loteria' and I say it should be 'billetes lotería'. What is the difference between them? And is there a time when either, or both would be correct to use?

Is either of us correct? If one of us is correct, please let it be me!!!

poli September 15, 2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaudoin leblanc (Post 51818)
My son and I are in a discussion about the correct translation for the term 'lottery tickets', or 'lotto tickets'. What is the best or more correct term to use? We are trying to say 'I will buy lottery tickets, or 'I buy lottery tickets.'

He says that the translation is 'boletos loteria' and I say it should be 'billetes lotería'. What is the difference between them? And is there a time when either, or both would be correct to use?

Is either of us correct? If one of us is correct, please let it be me!!!

I really depends on the country, but you son is pretty close saying it the
right way if he is in the USA. What you would say is boleto de lotería/loto. In Spain ticket is billete. I think in Argentina loto is called la quiniela (but that may be a special lottery game based on the horses)

AngelicaDeAlquezar September 15, 2009 11:46 AM

I agree with Poli. Both are correct, depending on the country (Mexico uses "boleto"):

I will buy lottery tickets:
Compraré boletos/billetes de lotería.
Voy a comprar boletos/billetes de lotería.

I buy lottery tickets:
Compro boletos/billetes de lotería.

beaudoin leblanc September 15, 2009 12:42 PM

Thank you both for the explainations. We are Texas, so I guess he is correct. I don't like that very much.

There are other questions I would like to ask. I have noticed that using the 'de', as in 'boleto de lotería' appears to have the same meaning as without using the 'de'. Is that sometimes correct? Are there certain words or phrases where this applies? Or is it a matter of preference?

ookami September 15, 2009 01:01 PM

Here you must use it. I can't explain you it so easily, so maybe is better if you read this. Is something very important to know; I'm sure another user will explain you correctly.

About the topic, here we directly say: "compré la loteria", we almost don't use "boleto" or "billete" or "talón"(this is common too).
"Me compré la loteria."
But it isn't a good example for someone that is learning Spanish.

sosia September 16, 2009 04:51 AM

As stated, both are correct.
I use "billete de lotería" or simply "lotería". But I'm from Spain.
Saying that your son it's correct because you're in TExas it's not fair.
Then what it's "proper" spanish here? Mexican? Argetinian, Castillian?
Both are correct. Both are acepted usages. There is no righter way if you're in the USA. It will be more common, but no righter.

About the "de", sometimes we skip it, but usually it must be written.

greetings :D

AngelicaDeAlquezar September 16, 2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaudoin leblanc (Post 51832)
Thank you both for the explainations. We are Texas, so I guess he is correct. I don't like that very much.

There are other questions I would like to ask. I have noticed that using the 'de', as in 'boleto de lotería' appears to have the same meaning as without using the 'de'. Is that sometimes correct? Are there certain words or phrases where this applies? Or is it a matter of preference?

In Spanish one must express belonging, origin, matter, etc., and that implies the use of prepositions; in this case, "de".
In very few cases can it be omitted. :)

irmamar September 17, 2009 02:09 AM

Talking about the National Spanish lottery, in Spain we also say "un décimo" o un número completo (diez décimos de un mismo número = un billete)

Un décimo de lotería:

http://cms7.blogia.com/blogs/m/mo/mo...6-decimo04.jpg

Un billete (diez décimos):

http://images.delcampe.com/img_large...10/350_001.jpg

CrOtALiTo September 17, 2009 09:24 AM

Hello and good morning.

Here in Mexico the term lottery tickets are definitely Juego de Loteria as is said it in Mexico and also is named as Juego de Azar in any places from my country.

Although you need to be more specific in some games are alt most the same but with different name, therefore if you need to be more clear in if you need only the translation of the lottery ticket or any other game.

beaudoin leblanc September 17, 2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Here in Mexico the term lottery tickets are definitely Juego de Loteria
So in the case of 'buy a lottery ticket' would you say 'buy a lottery ticket'? Or 'buy a ticket for the lottery game'?

Comprar un boleto para la lotería or Comprar un boleto para el juego de la lotería

Is one preferred over the other, or is it a matter of personal taste? Also would the location (different countries) be considered for the correct sentence?