Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Official Announcements (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Technical Issues: Planned server move for Tomisimo (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3207)

Tomisimo February 27, 2009 03:44 PM

Planned server move for Tomisimo

Many of you have probably noticed the "501 - internal server error" pages popping up like flies, as well as the general slow response times for the website. This is cause by increased traffic and visitors to the site. The solution is to move the site to a new server.

I have now purchased a VPS (virtual private server) to run Tomisimo on. It should be many times more powerful than the current server and if all goes as planned, the error pages and slow loading times will all be history.

I have planned the move and will be doing the prep work for it now. The actual switch from the current server to the new one is planned for sometime Sunday night (US time). There will be some downtime during the actual switch, but I'm hoping to keep it to a minimum. Realistically, the forums will probably be down for about an hour.

Some time ago a user asked about a donation link to donate to the upkeep of the site. Now with the increased server and dns costs, I think I will pursue that in the near future. (after the move is finished)

So now you are informed. Thanks for putting up with the recent slowness and errors!

David.
Lo más seguro es que muchos de ustedes se han dado cuenta que este sitio ha estado muy lento y que muchos errores internos del servidor "501" han aparecido. La causa de esto es un aumento en el tráfico y visitas al sitio. La solución es mover el sitio a otro servidor.

He contratado un VPS (servidor virtual privado) para usar con Tomísimo. Debe ser mucho más potente que el servidor actual, y si todo sale como planeado, las páginas de error y la lentitud del sitio quedarán atrás.

He planificado este cambio de servidor y ya esto en las labores de preparación para ello. El cambio en sí está planeado para el domingo por la noche (tiempo de EEUU). Habrá un lapso de tiempo cuando el sitio no está disponible, espero que ese sea menos de una hora.

Hace tiempo ya que un usuario preguntó acerca de un enlace para poder donar para cooperar con los costos del mantenimiento del sitio. Ahora con los costos mayores del servidor y dns, voy a ver si pongo algo así, pero sería después de mover el sitio al nuevo servidor.

Bueno, ya les he hecho saber esto. Les pido una disculpa por la lentitud y errores en los últimos días.

David.

Jessica February 27, 2009 04:04 PM

no wonder. I've been getting all those errors. I can't wait until you get a new one :)

Tomisimo March 01, 2009 07:32 PM

The planned upgrade has been postponed to Monday night/Tuesday morning for technical reasons that have to do with the fact the DNS record propagation on the internet can take up to 72 hours.

Tomisimo March 07, 2009 08:17 AM

I have done the preparation work for moving this site to the new server, and it took a lot more time than I anticipated. If you see periodic outages today, it's because I have to disable somethings to accomplish the move. If you see a message saying the forums are closed, be assured it is only for a very short time while we are moving the database.

Thanks for understanding!

CrOtALiTo March 07, 2009 08:55 AM

David ahead. It severals times have affected when I try to enter to the website. Although I know and understand that the problem is because the website has grew. And it has more visit than before.

I like the idea of your new server David. If you need something for the job. Please you don't hesitate to ask us.

It demonstrated the high growing at the website. also I can see the successful of the website.

Congratulation.

Jessica March 09, 2009 07:21 PM

there's no more errors now.

CrOtALiTo March 09, 2009 11:57 PM

Well. I believe that David hasn't moved the servers even.
I after remember that he will move the servers tonight.