Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español

Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   El vocabulario (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Bit of Frivolity (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11104)

Sancho Panther June 15, 2011 05:32 AM

A Bit of Frivolity

From time to time certain words 'tickle my fancy' and I steer conversations so that I can employ them, in both English and Spanish.

'Chafar' was one (squash), now I like 'cuajar' (thicken up); in English 'pulchritudinous' is good, and so is 'crapulous'. I'm not telling you the meanings, you'll have to look them up. I guarantee they won't mean what you think they mean!

When you've stopped thinking "Get a life" tell us your favourite words!

poli June 15, 2011 06:39 AM

There's a Pervian food called carapulcra. It is mysteriously like Thai food. In case you didn't know, pulcritud is a Spanish cognate for the English pulchritudinous.

Perikles June 15, 2011 08:14 AM

I like the word serendipity. I've just looked it up, and discovered that it used to be the name for Sri Lanka before Ceylon. Now that is what I call serendipity. :rolleyes:

Sancho Panther June 15, 2011 10:20 AM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Perikles (Mensaje 112240)
I like the word serendipity. I've just looked it up, and discovered that it used to be the name for Sri Lanka before Ceylon. Now that is what I call serendipity. :rolleyes:

¡Sí - de acuerdo!

Perikles June 18, 2011 07:48 AM

Querétaro, la palabra más bonita del español

Este nombre de ciudad mexicana ha sido elegido como la palabra favorita el día en el que el idioma español está siendo homenajeado en todo el mundo.

El País

aleCcowaN June 18, 2011 08:24 AM

Y eso que la palabra no figura en el diccionario.

Yo hubiera propuesto "Triunvirato y Avenida de los Incas" de la famosa canción patria de Les Luthiers (defensa y victoria, libertad e independencia, Triunvirato y Avenida de los Incas).

Luna Azul June 20, 2011 11:46 AM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Perikles (Mensaje 112240)

I was going to mention that word when I saw your post.. :rolleyes:

I've liked "serendipity" since I heard it the first time. The actual name of Sri Lanka was "Serendip" and the English author Horace Walpole coined the word "serendipity" from it.

I'm not sure of how to use it, I never have, but it sounds so good to my ears.. maybe because it sounds "serene"??:o

Perikles June 20, 2011 12:09 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Luna Azul (Mensaje 112450)
I was going to mention that word when I saw your post..

I'm not sure of how to use it, ....

You could use it just as a noun meaning a happy chance: How did you two manage to meet? I don't know, it was just serendipity I guess. (yes, serene is nice too) :)

Luna Azul June 20, 2011 12:30 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Perikles (Mensaje 112454)
You could use it just as a noun meaning a happy chance: How did you two manage to meet? I don't know, it was just serendipity I guess. (yes, serene is nice too) :)

My husband and I met .... by serendipity? /due to serendipity? / because of serendipity? :thinking:

It was actually serendipity what made us meet. Interesting and real story..:p

poli June 20, 2011 12:36 PM

Serendipity is also a restaurant in New York. It was a hang out for Andy
Warhol and his friends many decades ago. I think it is now a popular place for tourists who have a lot of money to spend on things that shouldn't be very expensive.

Perikles June 20, 2011 12:59 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Luna Azul (Mensaje 112456)
My husband and I met .... by serendipity? :good:/due to serendipity? / because of serendipity? :thinking:

It was actually serendipity what made us meet. :bad:Interesting and real story..:p

It was actually serendipity that we met.

Luna Azul June 20, 2011 08:22 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Perikles (Mensaje 112458)
It was actually serendipity that we met.

Ok,, thanks :p

There's a funeral home not too far from my home called Serendipity. I don't know if it's the appropriate name for that type of business...

Hmm a fortunate discovery
?:rolleyes: Not for the deceased, I bet... :D

;)

Perikles June 21, 2011 03:44 AM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Luna Azul (Mensaje 112473)
There's a funeral home not too far from my home called Serendipity. I don't know if it's the appropriate name for that type of business...

:lol::lol: It could hardly be worse, unless of course you are a beneficiary in the will. :rolleyes:

Luna Azul June 21, 2011 09:55 AM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Perikles (Mensaje 112485)
:lol::lol: It could hardly be worse, unless of course you are a beneficiary in the will. :rolleyes:

Hey! maybe that's the idea!.:hmm: They're sending a subliminal message to the family... ha ha :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sancho Panther June 21, 2011 10:32 AM

Here in the UK last Sunday was Fathers' Day, my daughter and partner came from their home thirty miles away with half a dozen bottles of speciality beers. They stayed for dinner which was washed down with two bottles of Rioja Reserva Especial (on half price!), then coffee and brandy.

Yesterday I was very, very crapulous indeed, (I refer readers to my first posting on this topic!).

Self-inflicted wounds!

Luna Azul June 21, 2011 01:00 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Sancho Panther (Mensaje 112504)
Here in the UK last Sunday was Fathers' Day, my daughter and partner came from their home thirty miles away with half a dozen bottles of speciality beers. They stayed for dinner which was washed down with two bottles of Rioja Reserva Especial (on half price!), then coffee and brandy.

Yesterday I was very, very crapulous indeed, (I refer readers to my first posting on this topic!).

Self-inflicted wounds!

Look for the word "crápula" in Spanish.. you might be surprised.. ;)

I had a book once, I have no idea what happened to it, I don't have it anymore. The name of it was "El inglés que usted no sabe que sabe".

There were literally thousands of words in that book that were similar in English and Spanish. Many of those words are more commonly used in Spanish than in English.

Years ago I was in school in the US and we had an English exam. Since many of the questions were 'multiple choice' and because of the similarities of words which are commonly used in Spanish, I was able to do very well on the exam. I felt almost like cheating.. :D

;)

Sancho Panther June 22, 2011 05:07 AM

Cita:

"Look for the word "crápula" in Spanish... you might be surprised..."
There are several definitions, including 'low, dissolute people...'

Hmm - sounds about right....

Luna Azul June 22, 2011 11:03 AM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Sancho Panther (Mensaje 112531)
There are several definitions, including 'low, dissolute people...'

Hmm - sounds about right....

It not only refers to people..

Embriaguez o borrachera = half a dozen bottles of speciality beers...... two bottles of Rioja Reserva Especial (on half price!), then coffee and brandy. (sorry, couldn't resist saying it...:p)

;)

La franja horaria es GMT -6. Ahora son las 08:59 PM.

Foro powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.