Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mandar vs Enviar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=12273)

southUS January 03, 2012 06:12 AM

Mandar vs Enviar

Is it okay to use either of these words in the same way? From my understanding, they both mean "to send" as in "Podrias porfavor madarme la factura?" or "Podrias porfavor enviarme la factura?"

Is one more polite? Are there better times to use one vs the other?

Thank you,

chileno January 03, 2012 07:56 AM

Both are equally correct. But I don't know why in my mind "enviar" sounds more proper.

jrivera January 03, 2012 03:40 PM

"Mandar" also means to "to order" someone somehing. For example: Le gusta mandar - He likes giving orders.
Or: Tú no mandas aquí - You are not the one giving orders here.

That is why it sounds better to say "enviar" more polite. Both are correct.

caliber1 January 07, 2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrivera (Post 120295)
"Mandar" also means to "to order" someone somehing. For example: Le gusta mandar - He likes giving orders.
Or: Tú no mandas aquí - You are not the one giving orders here.

That is why it sounds better to say "enviar" more polite. Both are correct.

So does "mandar" mean to give orders and not to order something? I ask because I thought "pedir" was to order something such as food or a product.

I will try and remember "enviar", but I can't remember anyone at work using it before. Is that word used more commonly in some countries over other? Thanks everyone.

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 07, 2012 01:51 PM

To order something, like in a restaurant or some home delivery, can be "pedir" or "ordenar". "Mandar"/"enviar" can be used for the action of sending the order to the table from the kitchen or when delivery is being sent:

--¿Ya pediste/ordenaste la pizza? (Have you already ordered the pizza?)
--Sí, me dijeron que la mandan/envían en diez minutos. (Yes, I was told it will be sent in ten minutes.)

(The chef to his helper in the kitchen of a restaurant)
--En una mesa ordenaron/pidieron más tortillas. Mándaselas/envíaselas bien calientes. (There's a table where they ordered more tortillas. Send them very hot.)

The use of "mandar" as to give orders:
-Mi mamá me mandó comprar unas frutas al mercado. (Mom made me go to buy some fruits to the market.)
-Mandé a Juan que arreglara el techo. (I ordered Juan to fix the roof.)
-Manda que arreglen tus zapatos a arreglar; ya están rotos. (Make your shoes be fixed, they're already broken.)

caliber1 January 07, 2012 01:53 PM

Got it! Thanks :rose:

chileno January 07, 2012 02:46 PM

Hmmm...

Think about this:

I am sending a package to...

I am sending for Michael to be here.

What do you think?

caliber1 January 07, 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 120473)
Hmmm...

Think about this:

I am sending a package to...

I am sending for Michael to be here.

What do you think?

They sound fine to me. "I am sending for Michael to be her" sounds old fashioned to me. Correct, but old fashioned. I probly wouldn't say it :rolleyes:
It makes me think of an English person from the Serendipity or similar movie. My wife made me watch it. I had no choice :sad:

Glen January 07, 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliber1 (Post 120475)
They sound fine to me. "I am sending for Michael to be her" sounds old fashioned to me. Correct, but old fashioned. I probly wouldn't say it :rolleyes:
It makes me think of an English person from the Serendipity or similar movie. My wife made me watch it. I had no choice :sad:

For my money, "I am sending for Michael" is alright by itself, with the "to be here" well understood without having to be said.

chileno January 07, 2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliber1 (Post 120475)

I understand. But aren't you missing the point? :)