Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Plantilla (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1791)

DailyWord August 19, 2008 03:07 AM

Plantilla

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for August 19, 2008

plantilla - feminine noun (la) - template, model, pattern, stencil, design. Look up plantilla in the dictionary

Si necesitas crear muchos documentos usando un mismo diseño, primero crea una plantilla y úsala como base para cada documento.
If you need to create many documents with the same design, first make a template and use it to base all the documents on.

poli August 19, 2008 05:27 AM

I think this word may mean different things in different regions. I was under the impression that plantilla meant sole of the foot or sole of the shoe. I may also mean an insert that is put inside the shoe like orthotics.

It is interesting that this word has another completely different meaning.

ElDanés August 19, 2008 08:07 AM

According to Wiktionary, "planta" can mean the bottom of the foot, and "suela" the bottom of a shoe, but no "plantilla."

CrOtALiTo August 19, 2008 08:37 AM

Guys, the template in Spanish Platilla, like meaning Platilla de Zapatos, and it in informatic a template is a document or archive where you can create many documents of the same template, it's very used in the informatic or when you copy some disk in your computer, it's very pratical in his use, and Maria Jose said bottom, What did you mean with bottom Maria Jose.?

ElDanés August 19, 2008 09:45 AM

María José haven't even replied to this thread?

Rusty August 19, 2008 11:04 AM

Plantilla, with the letter n, is a template (etc.), just as DailyWord states (also see DRAE, acepción 4). It is also the insole (acepción 1), as Poli points out.

Platilla appears to be a certain type of thin, textured canvas that a painter would use. Es un lienzo delgado y basto.

María José August 19, 2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanés (Post 14315)
According to Wiktionary, "planta" can mean the bottom of the foot, and "suela" the bottom of a shoe, but no "plantilla."

That's the way I use it. To recap:
- Insole = plantilla
- (Shoe)sole = suela
- The sole or bottom of the foot = planta del pie

And of course I love having sole for dinner, especially :crossfingers: if somebody else cooks it for me.;)

poli August 19, 2008 02:42 PM

Sole might be good by I personally prefer sauteed lenguado over plantilla cooked any way.:D

María José August 20, 2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 14333)
Sole might be good by I personally prefer sauteed lenguado over plantilla cooked any way.:D

I will have to agree with you on that. :D
Here in Spain when a steak is overdone we say está como la suela de un zapato. At least my Mum says it...

poli August 20, 2008 05:31 AM

We say it's like shoe leather like my mom's pot-roast:yuck:
Incidentally, has anyone ever seen the movie the Gold Rush?