Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Making sure a thank you note is correct (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=20120)

Sadegh August 05, 2015 12:44 AM

Making sure a thank you note is correct

A little background here: I finally want to commit to learning Spanish now because I now have weekly reminders of how prevalent it is in the general area where I live. The clinic I visit on a weekly basis these days is largely staffed by / oriented towards Hispanic people and though we of course have no problems conversing in English I wanted to thank the staff for their care in their preferred language. I thought it would be a pleasant surprise.

Anyhow, this is the original message I have in mind in my native language:

"I would like to thank you for the quality of care I have received here, and for the cordial manner of the staff. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the week!"

My attempt at a translation:

"Me gustaría agredecer a ustedes por la calidad de la asistencia sanitaria que he recibido aquí, y por la manera amistosa del personal. Espero que disfruten el resto de la semana!"

It has to be perfect, down to punctuation and appropriate choice of pronouns, before I can give them the thank you note. Thank you in turn for whatever corrections are necessary.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 05, 2015 10:20 AM

Very good!

I only have two suggestions:

- "Asistencia sanitaria" would be rather understood as help for some disinfection procedure. You are rather thinking about "cuidados" (it's understood you mean medical services).

- "Manera" is closer to "way".
We use "maneras", in plural, talk about etiquette manners; it could be used in this context, but it's not the first choice of words from a native speaker.
I suggest you to take on the noun for "cordial", which will be much better in Spanish than "amistoso": "...y por la cordialidad del personal".
"Amabilidad" is a good synonym too. :)

Sadegh August 05, 2015 09:36 PM

So, all told, if I write the following, it's all good?

"Me gustaría agredecer a ustedes por la calidad de los cuidados que he recibido aquí, y por la cordialidad del personal. Espero que disfruten el resto de la semana!"

If it helps at all I am receiving mental health treatment. It's nothing to do with pathogens.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 06, 2015 11:59 AM

Yes, that's alright. An opening exclamation mark (before "Espero") would make it perfect.

By the way, it's nice from you to write a note for them. :)

Julvenzor August 06, 2015 01:12 PM

In Spain, we would say: "Me gustaría/Quisiera agradecerles a ustedes () la calidad de la asistencia sanitaria..."

Here it's used "asistencia sanitaria" more than "cuidados".

A pleasure.

Sadegh August 06, 2015 02:02 PM

^ I'm not sure if there's a regional difference that would impact this in any way but in this instance the Spanish speakers in question are of course of Latin American rather than Iberian origin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 155955)
Yes, that's alright. An opening exclamation mark (before "Espero") would make it perfect.

CRAP!

I knew something was missing.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 06, 2015 07:41 PM

For Mexican ears, if you write "agradecerles", writing also "a ustedes" is too much. Although we do use redundant indirect object pronouns, we wouldn't use it in this case.
We'd say "me gustaría agradecerles" or, as you wrote it, "me gustaría agradecer a ustedes"; the latter sounds a little more formal for us.

:)