Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   When to use the verb "Ser" and when to use "Estar" (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=260)

ookami August 21, 2009 05:40 PM

Para mi son comunes sendas maneras:

"Es casado". ---que sería como decir---> Su estado civil es casado.
"Esta casado".

Sin embargo la segunda es la más aceptada y gramaticalmente correcta, como explicaron más arriba.

'No quiso la lengua castellana que de casado a cansado hubiese más de una letra de diferencia.'
- Lope de Vega

irmamar August 22, 2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 47141)

'No quiso la lengua castellana que de casado a cansado hubiese más de una letra de diferencia.'
- Lope de Vega

Good! :applause:

Rusty August 22, 2009 08:39 AM

Very good! :applause:

Muroutterlano August 31, 2009 03:31 AM

When to use the verb "Ser" and when to use "Estar"

Im not an expert, and I havent done Spanish grammar for a while; so any and all of this can be incorrect.

But I think what you were told, that there are no rules, is wrong.

As I understand it, in general, if the situation is temporary or referring to location it uses estar. "La puerta está abierta." And if the situation is more permanent "el gato es rojo," ser is used instead. Then there are nuances, exceptions, and further specificity, but that is the basic use that I was taught. I dont think the third person singular conjugations are magically different in their uses from the other 5...

I would use "es" for pesado. Am I confused?

poli August 31, 2009 06:17 AM

Generally estar means: to be in the state of (in the state if sadness in the
state joy , illness, Kansas;), etc.)
Ser is less transient and more of an inherent characterisitic. Sometimes ser and estar can be interchanged but the meaning changes. Ella es rubia. Ella está rubia for example.
With that in mind there a also genuine solid rules which you need to know and practive. You can always pull them up on the internet.
Here's an example:
http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/100040/ser-and-estar
Most people who are not native Spanish speakers make mistakes with ser
and estar, and native speakers will, for the most part, understand anyway.

Twix93 September 07, 2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

As I understand it, in general, if the situation is temporary or referring to location it uses estar. "La puerta está abierta." And if the situation is more permanent "el gato es rojo," ser is used instead. Then there are nuances, exceptions, and further specificity, but that is the basic use that I was taught. I dont think the third person singular conjugations are magically different in their uses from the other 5...
That's where I got confused when I first learned about ser and estar, for example:

Éllos son estudiantes. (Most people don't stay a student forever!)

I was told that the difference was permanent/temporary, but I wasn't told about exceptions.

Quote:

Ser is less transient and more of an inherent characterisitic. Sometimes ser and estar can be interchanged but the meaning changes. Ella es rubia. Ella está rubia for example.
Just curious... does "Ella está rubia" mean that she is blond because she died it blond, but "Ella es rubia" means that she is naturally blond?

Rusty September 07, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twix93 (Post 50068)
Just curious... does "Ella está rubia" mean that she is blond because she died it blond, but "Ella es rubia" means that she is naturally blond?

You would use ser for a person with blond hair, natural or dyed. You would use estar if one day the person's hair looked more blond than usual (a surprise).

ookami September 07, 2009 03:19 PM

Excellent explanation from Rusty.

An example of when you can use estar:

(dos amigas hablando)
A: Hace mucho que no veo a Sofía
B: Esta rubia ahora.
A: ¡¿Enserio?!

laepelba January 24, 2010 06:08 AM

I'm reading a book about Spanish grammar. In the section on present indicative verbs, this statement is made: "Verbs with irregular first-person singular only; all other forms in the present are regular: ......." and it goes on to list a bunch of verbs like caber and traer, etc. It also includes estar on the list. Is the present indicative conjugation for estar really considered regular except for the first-person estoy? So, the accents don't make it irregular: estás, está, están, etc... :?:

Perikles January 24, 2010 06:14 AM

Most grammar books do not consider accentuation as part of the infectional change, so yes, estar would be in that group. It depends on how you want to define 'regular' and 'irregular'. :rolleyes: