Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Acceptable word for Sulk (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3088)

Sancho Panther February 14, 2009 05:29 AM

Acceptable word for Sulk

Spanish doesn't have a generally accepted word for "Sulk"! The dictionary does give 'amorrar - to lower the head' and 'mohina - grudge', but neither convey 'sulk' properly.

As one married to una española for more than thirty years I can testify that while their more usual response to affronts is fiery rather than sullen - they are more than capable of a prolonged sulk when it suits them!

chileno February 14, 2009 07:53 AM

Hi Sancho,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 26127)
Spanish doesn't have a generally accepted word for "Sulk"! The dictionary does give 'amorrar - to lower the head' and 'mohina - grudge', but neither convey 'sulk' properly.

As one married to una española for more than thirty years I can testify that while their more usual response to affronts is fiery rather than sullen - they are more than capable of a prolonged sulk when it suits them!

You need to understand women! Forget about understanding sulk! :lol:

But seriously.

I went to wordreference.com and it lists it as "enfurruñar", and that is exactly how I would describe "sulk"

Tu señora anda enfurruñada, y la cosa es contigo! (lo mas seguro) :whistling:

Hernan.

CrOtALiTo February 14, 2009 09:43 AM

Those kinds of words or phrase are exclusive from Spain, because in my country almost not are listened in Mexico although. I don't know a speaker native Mexican can telling us if he uses the word enfurruñada. Often that words are very odd for me. Really I don't understand What does Enfurruñada mean?.

chileno February 14, 2009 10:27 AM

Hi Sancho and Crotalito,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 26127)

On revisiting your post I just noticed that "amorrar". According to RAE is a chilean usage.?! :eek:

But I always thought it was "amurrar".

Now, that I revisited this post, I know we (chileans) say "andar amurrado" which would mean in first instance "to be mad" but with the connotation of of being mad and not wanting to talk. Hence you lower your face so nobody can look at you and ask you anything. (what you do not see... :-) )

You do not want to acknowledge anybody nor be acknowledged by anybody. SULK! :-)

BTW: I learned a new word: sulk.

now, enfurruñar es more or less the same. :)

Hernan.

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 14, 2009 11:45 AM

I agree with Chileno that a good verb for "sulk" would be "enfurruñarse"

@Crotalito: Enfurruñarse es ponerse de malas... se me ocurren algunos sinónimos, pero me echarían del foro por ser demasiado coloquiales. ;)

chileno February 14, 2009 01:57 PM

Hola Angelica,

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 26158)
I agree with Chileno that a good verb for "sulk" would be "enfurruñarse"

@Crotalito: Enfurruñarse es ponerse de malas... se me ocurren algunos sinónimos, pero me echarían del foro por ser demasiado coloquiales. ;)

:)

Which would be, by the way, correct Spanish.

Hernan.

CrOtALiTo February 14, 2009 05:57 PM

I know taht you wanna say, I know that Enfurrunarse would can used as insult too. But I believe that is correct to say that the word or phrase if you want to say it so, it would be (No me hagas enfurecer). I believe that within to be an insult. It's a way to expression of any person at worldwide.

chileno February 14, 2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 26180)
I know taht you wanna say, I know that Enfurrunarse would can used as insult too. But I believe that is correct to say that the word or phrase if you want to say it so, it would be (No me hagas enfurecer). I believe that within to be an insult. It's a way to expression of any person at worldwide.

Enfurecer y enfurruñar serian a poco diferente. No?

yo elijo enfurruñarme. O sea esconder (sin mucho exito) mi furia, frustracion etc...

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 14, 2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 26162)
Hola Angelica,

:)

Which would be, by the way, correct Spanish.

Hernan.

True, but I wouldn't want to "contaminate" Spanish learners... yet. ;)
And I agree that "enfurruñarse" and "enfurecerse" have a different intensity.

@crotalito: I wouldn't understand "enfurruñarse" as an insult.

"No me hagas enfurecer" is a threat I'd take seriously. :D

chileno February 14, 2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 26198)
True, but I wouldn't want to "contaminate" Spanish learners... yet. ;)
And I agree that "enfurruñarse" and "enfurecerse" have a different intensity.

@crotalito: I wouldn't understand "enfurruñarse" as an insult.

"No me hagas enfurecer" is a threat I'd take seriously. :D

Love not war. Peace! :love:

It's Valentine's Day for goodness sake.

Hernan