Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Loosey-goosey (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8486)

JPablo July 14, 2010 02:46 AM

Loosey-goosey

adj. Slang.
relaxed; calm; unperturbed: Despite the pressure, he was loosey-goosey throughout the game.

Any good ideas to translate it into Spanish?

Obviously, relajado; tranquilo; impasible, impertérrito; sin inmutarse...

All these should be valid. But is there any good Spanish synonym with the rhyming sound, or some other alliterative quality?

In a Spanish slang register I thought also of "tranqui" as in "tranqui, colega, ya encontraremos una solución" or "tranqui, tronco..."

Anyone inspired? :?:

Tomisimo July 17, 2010 07:51 AM

• loosey-goosey
  • tranquilo (o tranquis)
  • relajado
  • sin ninguna preocupación en el mundo
  • muy (demasiado) casual
  • muy impreciso
  • sin definición ni dirección (con conotación negativa)
  • juguetón
  • tonto
Check out Google news for some sample usage.

JPablo July 17, 2010 08:18 AM

Hey, thank you very much!
Your options are great, but also the sample usage link you put is awesome. At a glance I got 'laissez-faire' / 'laisser-aller' which will work in many contexts, in Spanish (even if it is a French expression...). This is no loosey-goosey activity, translating, it is a laser precise one... :)

Tomisimo July 17, 2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 88993)
This is no loosey-goosey activity, translating, it is a laser precise one...

That is for sure.

Chris July 17, 2010 11:21 AM

In English it is more often (at least where I'm from) referred to a female who is promiscuous. She is loosey-goosey. Or simply.. She is loose. Sorry if this is taboo here. I know it shouldn't be permitted that someone use swear words but I also feel like a person should be educated in case someone was calling his mom what he thought was "relaxed."

Elaina July 17, 2010 10:23 PM

De acuerdo. Solo he escuchado esa frase para querer decir que es "una mujer facilita".

Pero quizás estoy en un error.

:eek:

JPablo July 18, 2010 06:22 AM

The above seems correct, but the term can be used in many contexts as well.
One example from the web,
Arnie, a loosey-goosey man with a corny sense of humor, had been everyone's favorite school teacher; now he was retired and taught computer classes in his basement to neighborhood children. :)

Chris July 18, 2010 07:28 AM

I would still assume that Arnie was a promiscuous man or a pervert and would not let my children near his basement. Sorry but maybe it's one of those older words that change meaning over time.

JPablo July 18, 2010 08:00 AM

Okay, Chris, you're the A. English native speaker, so I definitely appreciate your input... I take it gets associated with that type of idea more often than not, but for example in the contexts of rifles and guns I get this Google quotation,
"I would rather have a loosey-goosey old Colt with a well fitted barrel and bushing than an overly tight,..."
And fine, one can get Freudian too, and give figurative meanings to a "Colt", but on a rugby context, that becomes more difficult, (quote)
really annoyed at loosey goosey old rugby code right now. (unquote)
At any rate, I just searched a few more contexts for the expression, and while not restricted, it tends to be more derogatory than not...

The egg industry is clearly not above playing "loosey goosey" with rhetoric that makes it sound like they're concerned with more than just profit.
Or
Where can I buy the version that says he ran a loosey goosey and unprofessional Athletic Department which lead to serious NCAA sanctions in both Football and Basketball before being fired?
Or,
“I was loosey goosey about the church.”
Or
They don't seem to be "loosey-goosey" about anything,

So, well, that was an interesting exercise. :)

Elaina July 18, 2010 10:12 PM

Well to tell you the truth I don't really think anyone uses that term in every day speaking.

And.........Arnie was a goosey-lossey man sure sounds like a weird way to describe someone...... maybe.... Arnie was a laid-back man with a corny sense of humor, etc.. just seems more "clean"

Who knows!!

;)