Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Teaching and Learning Techniques (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Please recommend a book of fiction (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=21322)

mwtzzz August 04, 2016 05:06 PM

Please recommend a book of fiction

Please recommend a book of fiction that would be reasonable for someone to practice and brush up on their Spanish skills. Something that's written in reasonable, standard language (nothing too poetic or difficult or complex).

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 04, 2016 07:47 PM

Probably you want to try with a book you already know in English, so as you read you'll recognize the situations and language will be easier to understand.
If you're a Harry Potter fan, they're written in Spanish with the same basic language as they are in English.
Or try editions for the young public (teenagers and young adults); those are usually written in plain styles without much vocabulary.

However, I strongly suggest that you open any book you're attracted to; if you like the topic, it won't be hard to follow anyway. :D

pjt33 August 05, 2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 160349)
However, I strongly suggest that you open any book you're attracted to; if you like the topic, it won't be hard to follow anyway. :D

Unless it's badly translated. It does happen.

Also, magical realism isn't necessarily a good idea for a first book, because it's easy to think you misunderstood when in fact you understood every word perfectly.

@OP, when you say "standard language", could you give us a hint as to the dialect(s) you're most familiar with? Some of what's "standard" in Spain isn't in Argentina and vice versa.

poli August 05, 2016 12:13 PM

I wasn't going to get into this, but "House of the Spirits" is easy to read even though there is a touch of magic realism in it. I was able to read it Spanish without much difficulty. It was an international best seller by Isabel Allende. I'm sure the English translation is good.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 05, 2016 02:53 PM

@Pjt33: So true. A good printing house is always a good idea. No guarantee, but smaller probability that it will be poorly edited. :D

mwtzzz August 08, 2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 160354)
@OP, when you say "standard language", could you give us a hint as to the dialect(s) you're most familiar with?

I'm most familiar with Spanish as spoken by Colombians / Mexicans . . .

Aprendo August 14, 2016 10:37 PM

Ayer, he comprado y bajado "El Viejo Y El Mar" en espanol de Heminway.

JPablo August 19, 2016 04:16 PM

I would go with "Caperucita Roja y el Lobo Feroz", "Blancanieves y los siete enanitos"... "La Cenicienta"...

"El Libro de la Selva" "Tarzán de los Monos"...
Probably, comic versions of "La Isla del Tesoro"... "La Isla Misteriosa"...

The key thing is that if you know the subject (as noted by Angélica), then it will be easier for you.

If you like suspense... "The Da Vinci Code"... may be a bit too difficult language, then again, you choose...

pjt33 August 20, 2016 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 160471)
If you like suspense... "The Da Vinci Code"... may be a bit too difficult language, then again, you choose...

How can you recommend reading that book thing, you heartless monster? It's even worse than magical realism at making you think you misunderstood the words because they don't make sense when you put them together.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 20, 2016 11:35 AM

@Pjt: :lol: I am the third!