Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   English - Portuguese or Spanish translation (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11637)

jan September 01, 2011 09:32 AM

English - Portuguese or Spanish translation

Hi!
Several members have taken a look, but nobody wanted to help me...
I'll be looking for your comments.
Thanks
Jan

Hi!
I'm working on a English - Portuguese translation.Could you please help me to find a good translation for those below hilighted words? If nobody knows Portuguese, I believe that a spanish translation would be helpful.
Thank you!
Regards
Jan

Rmk: I learn English.Sorry for any mistakes.

"Information disclosed to receiving party that is specific shall not be deemed to be within any of the exceptions of Paragraph 4 merely because it is embraced by more general information that is in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public. Any combination of features disclosed to receiving party shall not be deemed to be within the exceptions merely because individual features thereof are separately in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public".

a) receiving party acknowledges that the samples are of a developmental nature and that the disclosing party makes no representation, express or implied, that the samples will be supplied on a commercial basis;

b)receiving party shall not analyze the samples for chemical composition, or cause to have them analyzed for chemical composition
Shall the receiving party not anlyse the samples by itself nor have them analyzed by others? is it the point?

Sancho Panther September 05, 2011 02:30 PM

I'll try but it's very difficult legal jargon. At least it will give you an idea and give someone else the chance to correct me!

Any combination of features = cualquiera combinación de asuntos

Indivdual features = asuntos individuales

Makes no representation = no hace representación ninguna

Receveiving party shall not analyze = Recipiente no hace ningun análisis

Have them analyzed = Permitir algun análisis

It must be remembered that this is legal jargon, written by lawyers and only meant to be understood by lawyers. They say it's wholly unambiguous English, but it isn't - it's just the way the legal profession keeps itself in highly lucrative employment!

Não escrevo bem o portugués! Mas em este assunto é mais ou menos igual!

chileno September 05, 2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan (Post 116712)
Hi!
Several members have taken a look, but nobody wanted to help me...
I'll be looking for your comments.
Thanks
Jan

Hi!
I'm working on a English - Portuguese translation.Could you please help me to find a good translation for those below hilighted words? If nobody knows Portuguese, I believe that a spanish translation would be helpful.
Thank you!
Regards
Jan

Rmk: I learn English.Sorry for any mistakes.

"Information disclosed to receiving party that is specific shall not be deemed to be within any of the exceptions of Paragraph 4 merely because it is embraced by more general information that is in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public. Any combination of features disclosed to receiving party shall not be deemed to be within the exceptions merely because individual features thereof are separately in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public".

a) receiving party acknowledges that the samples are of a developmental nature and that the disclosing party makes no representation, express or implied, that the samples will be supplied on a commercial basis;

b)receiving party shall not analyze the samples for chemical composition, or cause to have them analyzed for chemical composition
Shall the receiving party not anlyse the samples by itself nor have them analyzed by others? is it the point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 116815)
I'll try but it's very difficult legal jargon. At least it will give you an idea and give someone else the chance to correct me!

Any combination of features = cualquiera combinación de asuntos/caraterísticas

Indivdual features = asuntos/caraterísticas individuales

Makes no representation = no hace representación ninguna/no representa

Receveiving party shall not analyze = Los Recipientes no deberan analizar

Have them analyzed = hacerlos analizar

It must be remembered that this is legal jargon, written by lawyers and only meant to be understood by lawyers. They say it's wholly unambiguous English, but it isn't - it's just the way the legal profession keeps itself in highly lucrative employment!

Nah! I would say it is the legal way for them to do what otherwise would be illegal for the rest of the population. :rolleyes:

AngelicaDeAlquezar September 05, 2011 05:16 PM

Estoy de acuerdo con "características" por "features".
"Asunto" es más sinónimo de "tema", "negocio", "caso"...

"Cualquiera combinación de características"

Quote:

Los recipientes no deberán analizar
Creo que "destinatarios" o "receptores" se comprendería mejor.
En México, un "recipiente" es un contenedor o un utensilio para guardar cosas. :)

Rusty September 05, 2011 06:09 PM

makes no representation = no hace ninguna declaración | representación

pjt33 September 06, 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan (Post 116712)

Yes. You can't get someone else to analyse them and then say "The contract only prevents me analysing them".

Sancho Panther September 08, 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Any combination of features = cualquiera combinación de asuntos/características

Indivdual features = asuntos/características individuales
Sorry I have to disagree with that Chileno, there are several definitions of "Features" in both English and Spanish; but the translation as "Caraterísticas" in this context of a legal document is, I think misleading. A more accurate translation would be "Particulares" I would say, i.e. "Cualquiera combinación de particulares" and "Particulares individuales".

Basically the whole document is written in very abstruse English, intentionally devised to confuse in my opinion.

chileno September 09, 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 116874)
Sorry I have to disagree with that Chileno, there are several definitions of "Features" in both English and Spanish; but the translation as "Caraterísticas" in this context of a legal document is, I think misleading. A more accurate translation would be "Particulares" I would say, i.e. "Cualquiera combinación de particulares":good: and "Particulares individuales".:bad:

Basically the whole document is written in very abstruse English, intentionally devised to confuse in my opinion.

I understand. In your case the first would fit nicely, but the second not. So I decided to level it with características (I made the mistake first) on both. :)

Sancho Panther September 10, 2011 04:53 AM

'Particulares individuales' is fine - it refers to several individual (seperate) features as opposed to groups (combinaciones) of features.

chileno September 10, 2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 116913)
'Particulares individuales' is fine - it refers to several individual (separate) features as opposed to groups (combinaciones) of features.

Correct. But not in context to what the OP wanted to know.