Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Sobre (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4399)

DailyWord June 29, 2009 03:07 AM

Sobre

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for June 29, 2009

sobre (masculine noun (el)) — envelope. Look up sobre in the dictionary

Abrí el sobre, y ¡qué sorpresa me llevé!
I opened the envelope and what a surprise!

AngelicaDeAlquezar June 29, 2009 09:48 AM

¿Cómo se refiere uno en inglés a los sobres en los que se empacan algunos alimentos deshidratados (sopas, frijoles, salsas...)? ¿"Bag"?

poli June 29, 2009 09:55 AM

vacuum packed/sealed envelope,

Rusty June 29, 2009 10:01 AM

Yes, you can say bag. Even though it may be vacuum-packed/sealed bag, most of us just call it a bag.

From preparation directions:
Pour contents of bag into boiling water ...

AngelicaDeAlquezar June 29, 2009 10:05 AM

Thank you both! :rose:

Once I wasn't understood when I said "envelope", but it was a group of non-native speakers, so I had to ask now. :D

Tomisimo June 29, 2009 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would normally call something like that a bag. If I needed to be more specific, I would describe it as vacuum-packed, sealed, or something similar. If you're talking about the smaller sobres of powder to make drinks (tang, kool-aid, etc), I would use "packet".

For example, in the following pictures, I would call that a "packet/bag of (dehydrated) soup" and a "packet of tang".

poli June 29, 2009 12:12 PM

psst! I don't know how all of us gringos forgot the most common term:duh:: pouch:o
All the responses we gave you were right. It's just that pouch is the best term. I'm sorry I wasn't quicker.

AngelicaDeAlquezar June 29, 2009 01:10 PM

Thank you so very much!! I will know all the alternatives for a future occasion. =)

CrOtALiTo June 29, 2009 01:38 PM

Enveloped is used as Sobre de Carta, or Sobre de papel to buy the in the store.

Tomisimo June 30, 2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 40488)
psst! I don't know how all of us gringos forgot the most common term:duh:: pouch:o
All the responses we gave you were right. It's just that pouch is the best term. I'm sorry I wasn't quicker.

Yes, "pouch" is good to. If I say things out loud, it helps me think of the best/most common way of saying things.... but the people around me will think I'm a bit off my rocker if I'm staring at the computer screen muttering "packet of tang, bag of tang, envelope of tang, pouch of tang". :D

AngelicaDeAlquezar June 30, 2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 40627)
Yes, "pouch" is good to. If I say things out loud, it helps me think of the best/most common way of saying things.... but the people around me will think I'm a bit off my rocker if I'm staring at the computer screen muttering "packet of tang, bag of tang, envelope of tang, pouch of tang". :D

:lol: Sounds so familiar... :rolleyes:

Ronnmacc80 May 31, 2011 06:31 PM

For ramen noodles, for example, we call a "pack" of ramen noodles. For those tiny servings of ketchup a restaurant gives you in the drive-thru, we call them "packages" of ketchup. For a food item that is wrapped in a more complicated manner, we use "package" (with the ketchup example being the exeption).

Sancho Panther June 20, 2011 04:52 AM

A small cardboard box is a 'carton', but with the emphasis strongly on the first syllable, unlike its Spanish equivalent.

Johndiv23 June 20, 2011 08:23 PM

I thought sobre was envelope in English. Now i know its a small container like a bag pouch etc.

Sancho Panther June 21, 2011 03:15 AM

Hmm, 'un sobre' is an envelope, a small bag or pouch sounds more like 'un paquete' to me!

Luna Azul June 22, 2011 04:38 PM

A "sobre" is usually an "envelope" but it can also be a "packet", as in those little "sugar packets" they use in the cafeterias. Those are "sobres de azúcar".

I wouldn't translate "bag" and "pouch" as "paquete".
"Paquete"
is "package" or "parcel" depending upon which size of the Atlantic you're at, or "pack" as in "a pack of cigarettes" - (un paquete de cigarrillos)

"Bags" and "pouches" are "bolsas". When they're small we just say "bolsitas".

I believe a "pouch", depending on its size and also the usage, can be a "talego", at least in my country.

;)

caliber1 July 30, 2011 12:28 PM

I also thought "sobre" can mean "super". No?

Luna Azul July 30, 2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliber1 (Post 114629)
I also thought "sobre" can mean "super". No?

Yes, the prefix sobre- means super- in many cases:

Sobrecargo - sobreimponer.. etc
:)