Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Non Campus Mentis (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=13024)

aleCcowaN April 29, 2012 01:26 AM

Non Campus Mentis

While looking for interesting texts to practise some English, I was browsing the Education subforum in randi.org and came across Professor Anders Henriksson's book called Non Campus Mentis, a compilation of horrors perpetrated by college students.

Some quotes from this, the funniest way to learn English:
«Cesar was assassinated on the Yikes of March when he is reported to have said "Me too, Brutus!"»

«Anarchism is a system of government headed by an Anarch. Canada, for example, became an anarchy in 1867.»

«The British defeated the French from 1793 to 1815, but at gastronomic cost.»

«Judyism had one big God named "Yahoo"»

«Wars fought in the 1950s and after included the Crimean War, Vietnam, and the Six-Minute War. John F. Kennedy worked closely with the Russians to solve the Canadian Missile Crisis»

«Marie Curie won the Nobel Prize for inventing the radiator»

«The Civil Rights movement turned around the corner with Martin Luther Junior's famous "If I had a hammer" speech»

«The Parthenon was Pericles' greatest erection»
I hope you've enjoyed it. There's a lot of quotes around you may find just googling the book.

Perikles April 29, 2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 124352)
«The Parthenon was Pericles' greatest erection»

Oddly, this is the only one of the above quotations which is factually correct. I'm quite proud of the achievement, actually. :D

aleCcowaN April 29, 2012 06:38 AM

There was a time every man would do his best for a goddess ;)

pjt33 April 29, 2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

«The British defeated the French from 1793 to 1815, but at gastronomic cost.»

This one might not be strictly true, but it's certainly in line with many people's stereotypes.

Quote:

«The Civil Rights movement turned around the corner with Martin Luther Junior's famous "If I had a hammer" speech»

This is the only one I can't get my head around. What thought process led to "If I had a hammer"?!

aleCcowaN April 29, 2012 07:41 AM

The historical map section is hilarious. You can take a look using the look inside feature at Amazon. It's the product of ignorant students that raise the bet and try to disguise their lack of knowledge, criteria and common sense by adding humoristic touches -the "they better think I don't care instead of thinking I don't know" approach-. It's not a country named "Whales" that is in Ireland nor placing Lake Erie at Lake Ladoga (and calling it "Eerie"), but the "Papal Dominion of Arizona" or calling the Tuscans "Samsonites". If you gave the maps a thought you may spot a couple of smart underachievers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 124355)
This is the only one I can't get my head around. What thought process led to "If I had a hammer"?!

Besides of he being the more-than-posthumous son of the famous reformer and not Reverend King's.

Sancho Panther May 09, 2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 124355)

Perhaps he was a fan of Trini López who recorded the song of that name?