Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Latin American Spanish vs Mexican Spanish (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=9165)

KeilanS October 09, 2010 09:04 PM

Latin American Spanish vs Mexican Spanish

Hello all, I am going to Mexico for a few days a month from now, and would like to be moderately prepared with at least the most common phrases. I have a Spanish textbook from a university course, but I also wanted a phrasebook for those random things I might need to say. So I picked up a Latin American Spanish phrasebook. However, upon getting home, it says on the back tha tfor Mexico, I should have bought their Mexican Spanish phrasebook. Is this going to be a problem? I don't care if my sayings are all perfect, but I want them to be easy to understand, and most of all, not offensive (someone told me about a word that means "take" in spain but "have sex with" in Latin America, I'd like to avoid that). So for someone with experience... should I return the Latin American book? Thanks, -Keilan

JPablo October 09, 2010 11:34 PM

Hi, Keilan, welcome to the forums! :)
It is hard to say, without taking a look to the book itself, but I don't think it will be much of a problem...

If one person is British and talks to an American, an Australian and/or a SouthAfrican, there will differences of accents and common expressions, but I don't think they will have any serious problem to understand each other...

Same with Spanish... I may be surprised listening a Mexican person, or Chilean, Colombian, Argentinean... or Cuban... And they may laugh at my accent and/or expressions, but overall I don't think there is a big issue... :twocents:

chileno October 10, 2010 07:53 AM

hahahahaha!

Just kidding... :D

pjt33 October 10, 2010 09:22 AM

The idea that there's one "Latin American Spanish" and that Mexican Spanish is more different from all of the other American dialects than any of them are from each other is a joke. I can understand why they'd make a phrase book dedicated to Mexico - there's a lot more tourism from the US to Mexico than to other countries, so it's a good market to target - but you should be fine.

After all, the Mexicans on this board seem to understand me, and my Spanish is far more strongly influenced by Spain than by any Latin American country.

hermit October 10, 2010 10:55 AM

Absolutely - in general, while some phrases will be more commonly used
in Mexico than others, most or all of those appearing in the Latin American
phrasebook will no doubt be readily understood.

Couldn't hurt to have a book that is country-specific, though, when it comes
to slang phrases, especially...

CrOtALiTo October 10, 2010 06:45 PM

Hello.

And well refer to your question, it depend for you. Because you need at least in English the phrases you need to say in my country, so we will can help you or maybe give you some many typical phrases that you can use in my country, but I don't know.

What do you need to say in Spanish?

Then if you can place us some many phrases or exactly what do you need to say there in English that could be useful for us and so help you faster and accurate.

Take care

Good trip
Where you will stay a little time here in México country?

AngelicaDeAlquezar October 11, 2010 09:02 AM

There is no such thing as "Latin American Spanish". Each country has its particular expressions, colloquialisms and regionalisms. However, there does exist some sort of standard Spanish where we understand each other, and that includes other Spanish speaking countries like Spain and even Equatorial Guinea.

If you're going to be in Mexico for just a few days, you won't need anything more than a general phrasebook.

chileno October 11, 2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 96766)
There is no such thing as "Latin American Spanish". Each country has its particular expressions, colloquialisms and regionalisms. However, there does exist some sort of standard Spanish where we understand each other, and that includes other Spanish speaking countries like Spain and even Equatorial Guinea.

If you're going to be in Mexico for just a few days, you won't need anything more than a general phrasebook.

Right.

By the way, is there such a thing as New Yorkian (should it be Yorker?) or Texan English? :)

poli October 11, 2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 96774)
Right.

By the way, is there such a thing as New Yorkian (should it be Yorker?) or Texan English? :)

Is a New Yorkian an Armenian New Yorker?:lol::lol:

chileno October 11, 2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 96786)
i a new yorkian an armenian new yorker?:lol::lol:

:d:d:d