Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Practice & Homework (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What're some good young-adult fiction ("Literatura juvenil") books in Spanish? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=9581)

droe82 November 22, 2010 01:41 PM

What're some good young-adult fiction ("Literatura juvenil") books in Spanish?

You know what I mean? Like, if you go into libraries--or at least most public libraries in the U.S.--there's a childrens' section, a sort of just-plain-books section, and then kind of a mid-level section for, like... teenagers. The "Young-adult fiction" page in the English Wikipedia links to the "Literatura juvenil" one in Spanish for whatever that's worth.

Like... um... they don't have to be as girly and crappy as, like, Twilight, but y'know. I'd prefer they be written in Spanish and not just translated from English, just 'cause.

chileno November 22, 2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droe82 (Post 100293)
You know what I mean? Like, if you go into libraries--or at least most public libraries in the U.S.--there's a childrens' section, a sort of just-plain-books section, and then kind of a mid-level section for, like... teenagers. The "Young-adult fiction" page in the English Wikipedia links to the "Literatura juvenil" one in Spanish for whatever that's worth.

Like... um... they don't have to be as girly and crappy as, like, Twilight, but y'know. I'd prefer they be written in Spanish and not just translated from English, just 'cause.

:)

If it is an English author, then fat chance it won't be translated from English. ;)

You better get Spanish authors.

Nothing like the original, be it English or Spanish.

JPablo November 22, 2010 04:28 PM

I agree with Chileno, but there are good translations for all the "Classics" on these lists, so if you have read a good book in English, and take its Spanish translation, I don't think you have much to lose...

When I was 12 or so I read "Muerte en las nubes" ("Death in the Clouds" or "Death in the Air") in Spanish... and the English version just happen to fall in my hands... so I'll read the story, even if I know it, but just to practice English...

chileno November 22, 2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 100317)
I agree with Chileno, but there are good translations for all the "Classics" on these lists, so if you have read a good book in English, and take its Spanish translation, I don't think you have much to lose...

When I was 12 or so I read "Muerte en las nubes" ("Death in the Clouds" or "Death in the Air") in Spanish... and the English version just happen to fall in my hands... so I'll read the story, even if I know it, but just to practice English...

Of course, but nothing like the original... :)

JPablo November 22, 2010 09:15 PM

But of course! :)

maravilloso November 23, 2010 09:33 AM

Not sure if you want books in English or Spanish, but El Bosque de los Pigmeos by Isabel Allende is a pretty good book. I am sure you can find an English version. Anything by Gabriel García Máquez is good as well.

JenPeck February 22, 2013 08:21 PM

YA Fiction

I realize that it's best to choose books written in Spanish originally, but I had a great experience (and learned a ton of vocabulary) reading The Golden Compass (or La Brújula Dorada) by Philip Pullman. Personally I find that, while I LOVE GG Marquez, that in Spanish his words and use of language are SO poetic (and gorgeous, love it) that it's not really good reading for learning phrases and words to use in daily life. YMMV! :)

chileno February 22, 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenPeck (Post 133386)
I realize that it's best to choose books written in Spanish originally, but I had a great experience (and learned a ton of vocabulary) reading The Golden Compass (or La Brújula Dorada) by Philip Pullman. Personally I find that, while I LOVE GG Marquez, that in Spanish his words and use of language are SO poetic (and gorgeous, love it) that it's not really good reading for learning phrases and words to use in daily life. YMMV! :)

Correct.

In any event, if you were to pick and English author that more or less is the equivalent of GG Marquez, most likely he would use English that is not used in the daily life of anyone either.

;)

Queli February 26, 2013 09:23 PM

The Lola Lago detective series is good--
https://www.eurobooks.co.uk/language.../m4/c21/6/LLDE

So is the Manolito Gafotas series--I heard it called the "Wimpy Kid" series of Spain although it is not fair to compare it exactly since it is unique. But it does have that age appeal and fun to it--
http://www.clubmanolitogafotas.com/

Both series are written in Spanish, not translated.

Sarita08 March 14, 2013 08:47 PM

I don't know about "young adult", but if you can handle it, Inés del Alma Mía by Isabel Allende is fantastic! Also, if you're feeling like reading more of a challenging text, I would suggest anything by Gabriel García Márquez -- Crónica de una Muerte Anunciada and El Amor en Los Tiempos de Cólera are great.