Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary by Topic (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Christmas and New Year (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6367)

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 30, 2009 12:05 PM

Christmas and New Year

NavidadNFP - Christmas

Spanish  English 
 ¡Feliz Navidad!  Merry Christmas! 
 Navidad/DíaNM de Navidad  Christmas Day 
 navideño(a)ADJ  Christmas related 
 serieNF (de lucesNFP Christmas lights / string lights / string of lights 
 nacimientoNM/Belén[nm]  Nativity 
 árbolNM (de Navidad)/árbol de pascuaNF  Christmas tree 
 muñecoNM de nieveNF  snowman 
 esferaNF  (spherical) ornament 
 coronaNF  wreath 
 henoNM  hay 
 regaloNM  present 
 moñoNM  bow 
 botaNF  stocking 
 duendeNM  elf (Santa's little helpers) 
 Santa Clos / Papá Noel  Santa Claus 
 trineoNM  sledge / sled / sleigh 
 renoNM  reindeer 
 Rodolfo (el reno de la narizNF roja)  Rudolf (the red-nosed reindeer) 
 nochebuenaNF  poinsettia 
 NocheNF BuenaNF  Christmas Eve 
 piñataNF  piñata 
 muérdagoNM  mistletoe 
 brindisNM  toast 
 chimeneaNF  chimney 
 campanaNF  bell 
 cascabel NM  (jingle) bell /sleigh bell 
 velaNF  candle 
 bastónNM de carameloNM  candy cane 
 copoNM de nieveNF  snowflake 
 tarjetaNF de Navidad  Christmas card 
 juguetesNMP  toys 
 reyesNMP magosNMP (Melchor, Gaspar y Baltasar)  the (three) Wise Men (of/from the East) / the (Three) Kings (from the Orient) / the Magi (Caspar/Gaspar/Jaspar, Melchior, and Balthasar) 
 oroNM  gold 
 inciensoNM  frankincense 
 mirraNF  myrrh 
 escarchaNF (Mexico)  frost / tinsel / garland 
 espumillónNM (Spain)  garland 
 AñoNM NuevoNM  New Year 
 ¡Feliz Año Nuevo!  Happy New Year! 
 Año Viejo  Old Year 
 NocheNM Vieja  New Year's Eve 
 fuegosNMP artificiales  fireworks 
 propósitosNMP de año nuevo  New Year's resolutions 
 envolturaNF de regaloNM/papel[g]nm de regalo  gift wrap / wrapping paper 
 felicitaciónNF  greeting 
 villancicoNM  Christmas carol 
 panNM de frutasNFP/pan de pascua  fruitcake 
 galletaNF de jengibreNM  gingerbread 
 aguinaldoNM  Christmas bonus 

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 30, 2009 12:06 PM

Just to fit the season... I'm sure there will be a few regional variation additions, it will be nice to learn them. :)

Perikles November 30, 2009 12:22 PM

My dictionary: piñata: container hung up during festivites and hit with a stick to release candy

It looks like there is no English word

Año viejo: Old Year (:rolleyes:)

nacimientoNM/Belén: Nativity

jingle bell (?) : just 'bell'

magi (do they have proper names in English?) : NO

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 30, 2009 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Perikles! I have attached a picture with a "cascabel" and a "campana". Are they still the same?

Perikles November 30, 2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 63385)
Thanks, Perikles! I have attached a picture with a "cascabel" and a "campana". Are they still the same?

I know the difference (casabel is something fixed to children's things sometimes), but as far as I know, there is no English word to differentiate beween them. Toy bell. Church bell. Cow bell. Bells. :(:)

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 30, 2009 01:48 PM

This is fine... I assume the use of some pictures will be needed to clarify some meanings anyway. :)

laepelba November 30, 2009 03:52 PM

I would call them "jingle bells" regardless of how they are used and regardless of the time of year. :) Cascabeles!

pjt33 November 30, 2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 63379)
magi (do they have proper names in English?) : NO

Depende. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Magi#Names
Muchas veces cuando imprimen el villancico "We Three Kings" ponen los nombres tradicionales como títulos de las estrofas que hablan de los regalos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 63396)
I would call them "jingle bells" regardless of how they are used and regardless of the time of year. :) Cascabeles!

How would you parse that? Is it an NP made up of a VP and an NP, or are you taking "jingle" as an adjective or noun?

laepelba November 30, 2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 63402)
How would you parse that? Is it an NP made up of a VP and an NP, or are you taking "jingle" as an adjective or noun?

Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. SORRY!! :(

Rusty November 30, 2009 04:55 PM

American English:

serie (de luces) = Christmas lights / string lights / string of lights
trineo = sled / sleigh
envoltura de regalo = gift wrap / wrapping paper
cascabeles = jingle bells / sleigh bells

los Reyes Magos = the Wise Men / the (three) Wise Men (of/from the East) / the (Three) Kings (from the Orient) / the Magi :
their number is uncertain, but set at three because three gifts were mentioned by Matthew :
there are various names given to them, but Caspar (Gaspar, Jaspar), Melchior, and Balthasar are the most popular; these have been used since the 8th century (derived from an Alexandrian text dated two centuries earlier)

Please provide a picture of escarcha. Is it the same as guirnalda? Tinsel can mean a garland (a chain made out of bright, shiny plastic strands) or the thin shiny plastic strands that hang over the branches of a Christmas tree to make it look like it has icicles hanging from the branches (this kind of tinsel is also called icicles). Could cinta brillante be used for tinsel / guirnalda?

(corona has an inadvertent / behind it)

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 30, 2009 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Rusty. Additions and corrections are made.

"Escarcha" as tinsel can be a Mexican word only.
I find "cinta brillante" too general, but maybe it's used somewhere else to talk about a string of glittering strips or threads.

"Guirnalda" could be the more generalized word. :thinking:

"Cinta brillante" would suggest to me a flat and smooth ribbon.

laepelba November 30, 2009 06:06 PM

Garland is the stuff that is attached in a long rope/string:
http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photo...as_garland.jpg

Tinsel is the stuff that falls off in individual pieces.......
http://images.ecommetrix.com/commerc...2009%20091.JPG

(Don't know how to make the thumbnail images......)

chileno November 30, 2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 63413)
Garland is the stuff that is attached in a long rope/string:
http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photo...as_garland.jpg

Tinsel is the stuff that falls off in individual pieces.......
http://images.ecommetrix.com/commerc...2009%20091.JPG

(Don't know how to make the thumbnail images......)

The first one is a guirnalda and the second is escarcha.

árbol de pascua = christmas tree

pan de pascua =mix of fruit cake and panettone

... in Chile. :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 30, 2009 07:44 PM

Changes proposed by Lou Ann and Hernán are made. :)

I've heard "pan de pascua" (or "pan de frutas") as "fruitcake"... is it a Mexicanism or is it normally called so in English-speaking countries? :D

chileno November 30, 2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 63433)

I've heard "pan de pascua" (or "pan de frutas") as "fruitcake"... is it a Mexicanism or is it normally called so in English-speaking countries? :D

Yes... I changed it. :)

La "clorita" se está poniendo pesada... :(

:D

CrOtALiTo November 30, 2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 63433)

Where you have gotten the ( Pan de pascua ). I mean in that store sells it, I have never heard about that bread in my life, I'd like give it a little bite.:D

Elaina November 30, 2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 63451)
Where you have gotten the ( Pan de pascua ). I mean in that store sells it, I have never heard about that bread in my life, I'd like give it a little bite.:D

Be careful what you wish for. Fruit cake has gotten a bad rap for a long time. Eventhough some chefs are trying to "bring it back", so to speak, it is still something that many people stay away from or re-gift it over and over again!:D

It has been alluded that Fruit cake can last for years and years....I don't know if that is true or not. :eek:

:footinmouth:

irmamar December 01, 2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 63410)
Thank you, Rusty. Additions and corrections are made.

"Escarcha" as tinsel can be a Mexican word only.
I find "cinta brillante" too general, but maybe it's used somewhere else to talk about a string of glittering strips or threads.

"Guirnalda" could be the more generalized word. :thinking:

"Cinta brillante" would suggest to me a flat and smooth ribbon.

We call this "espumillón". :)

ROBINDESBOIS December 01, 2009 02:08 AM

Gingerbread girl
Sleighbells
Ornaments
Noisemakers
Carolers
Fireplace
Christmas crackers
Santa´s snack
NAtivity scene
Bulbs
Holly
Christmas bonus

pjt33 December 01, 2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 63403)
Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. SORRY!! :(

There are various ways of forming noun phrases (NPs) in English. There's the simple noun (e.g. bell). There's adjective + NP (e.g. golden bell). There's NP + NP (e.g. sleigh bell).

The only context in which I know the phrase "jingle bell" is the song "Jingle bells", in which "jingle" is a verb used as an imperative. I'm not familiar with "jingle bell" as a noun phrase, and I'm trying to understand the construction. Is it just adopted from the song with a change from verb phrase (verb + subject) to noun phrase, or are you using jingle as an adjective or noun? (If you don't know then I may try asking a linguist).

poli December 01, 2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS (Post 63465)
Gingerbread girl
Sleighbells
Ornaments
Noisemakers
Carolers
Fireplace (the yule log)
Christmas crackers:thumbsdown: Christmas cookies
Santa´s snack
NAtivity scene Sometimes these Belens are known as creche
Bulbs:thumbsdown: Christmas lights or Holiday lights
Holly
Christmas bonus:thumbsup:

Usually it's gingerbread man not girl but I suppose if there's on gender of gingerbread cookie there's another. Otherwise in theory they would never reproduce there wouldn't be any gingerbread cookies. :sad:

Eleana tiene razón fruitcake tiene una mala reputación y quisiera añadir que la merece. No obstante sirve bien como un quisio.

A propósito: Si una persona es nuttier than a fruitcake
significa que es desquisiado

A propósito: Una otra palabra Christmastime es Yuletide

laepelba December 01, 2009 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 63469)
There are various ways of forming noun phrases (NPs) in English. There's the simple noun (e.g. bell). There's adjective + NP (e.g. golden bell). There's NP + NP (e.g. sleigh bell).

The only context in which I know the phrase "jingle bell" is the song "Jingle bells", in which "jingle" is a verb used as an imperative. I'm not familiar with "jingle bell" as a noun phrase, and I'm trying to understand the construction. Is it just adopted from the song with a change from verb phrase (verb + subject) to noun phrase, or are you using jingle as an adjective or noun? (If you don't know then I may try asking a linguist).

Ahhh!! Thanks for explaining. It was the "NP" stuff that I didn't follow with. I'm not very good with grammar. :)

YES, I use "jingle bells" as a noun phrase. I don't know of any commonly used name for that type of bell, and since we usually only see them at Christmas time anyway, it's easy to refer to them as "jingle bells", and everyone knows exactly what I'm referring to.

I would probably guess that the sense is from the song. But I never thought of the word "jingle" as an imperative when it's used in the song. I suppose you may be right. But when I consider the song (and just discussed this with a colleague), the word "jingle" is simply modifying "bells". "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way...." just says to me that I'm hearing the jingling of bells (that specific kind of bell) and that it happens the entire time that the sleigh is moving along.

Not sure if that answer is sufficient........

By the way - you can't even imagine the kind of conversation two MATH teachers could have about a point of English grammar......... LOL!! :D

laepelba December 01, 2009 06:23 AM

By the way, I really do NOT like fruitcake...........

pjt33 December 01, 2009 06:25 AM

"envolturaNF de regaloNM" es también "papel de regalo", por lo menos aquí.

¿Como se dice "Christmas Day"? O ¿es que no hay traducción adecuada? No me sorprendería porque parece importar mucho menos en las culturas hispanohablantes que en las anglosajonas.

poli December 01, 2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 63485)
By the way, I really do NOT like fruitcake...........

It's like pipe tobacco

pjt33 December 01, 2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 63484)
By the way - you can't even imagine the kind of conversation two MATH teachers could have about a point of English grammar......... LOL!! :D

A que sí. La mitad de mis amigos universitarios eran estudiantes de mates. :p

chileno December 01, 2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 63451)

Me too! :-)

Ours is not soft as panettone and it has walnuts in it. It goes stale so you cannot keep it for a long time.

I thought garland = guirnalda

Rusty December 01, 2009 10:30 AM

@pjt33: Hmmm. I'm not a linguist, but for what's it's worth, here are my :twocents:

The noun 'jingle bell' is a particular type of bell. It is also known as a 'sleigh bell', which happens to be a noun composed of two words, too. It's possible that the 'sleigh' in 'sleigh bell' could be an adjective, a verb, or a noun. No dictionary I checked gave an etymology. It would be my guess that the 'jingle' in 'jingle bell' could also be an adjective, a verb, or a noun. The Random House dictionary says the word was coined around 1885.

Jingle bells can be bought in any city of America. You can buy a single bell, or you can buy them in a group. Many people hang them on walls, doors, doorknobs, or on a horse's harness.
Bands and orchestras buy a group of jingle bells mounted on a wood block with a handle. The percussionist holds the handle with one hand, the jingle bells hanging downward, and bounces the block into the palm of his/her other hand to make the bells ring.

My take on the song "Jingle Bells" is not the same as yours. I hear "Jingle bells (noun), Jingle bells (noun), Jingle (present tense 3rd-person plural verb) all the way." "Oh, what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh!"

Perikles December 01, 2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 63537)
No dictionary I checked gave an etymology. It would be my guess that the 'jingle' in 'jingle bell' could also be an adjective, a verb, or a noun.
My take on the song "Jingle Bells" is not the same as yours. I hear "Jingle bells (noun), Jingle bells (noun), Jingle (present tense 3rd-person plural verb) all the way." "Oh, what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh!"

Jingle is clearly onomatopoeic, and I would bet with pjt that jingle is an imperative in that annoying song. Having said that, Jingle bells (noun) is just as likely. In this particular case, I'm afraid I don't care much. :rolleyes:

Edit: Wiki says

Music historian James Fuld notes that the "the word jingle in the title and opening phrase is apparently an imperative verb."[3] However, it is commonly taken to mean a certain kind of bell.

So there we are. It is possible that at the time of writing the song, Pierpont meant the verb. On the basis of the expression in the song, the noun 'jingle bell' was invented, or just misunderstood. This is my theory, which is either brilliant, or total crap. :thinking::D

Jessica December 01, 2009 11:31 AM

is lanturn (sp??) in there? Or wait, the New Year has nothing to do with Chinese New Year right...?

irmamar December 01, 2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 63486)
"envolturaNF de regaloNM" es también "papel de regalo", por lo menos aquí.

¿Como se dice "Christmas Day"? O ¿es que no hay traducción adecuada? No me sorprendería porque parece importar mucho menos en las culturas hispanohablantes que en las anglosajonas.

Día de Navidad o, simplemente, Navidad.

¿No conoces el villancico?

"Esta noche es Nochebuena
y mañana Navidad,
saca la bota María
que me voy a emborrachar.

Ande, ande, ande
la Marimorena,
ande, ande, ande
que es la Nochebuena"

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 01, 2009 12:05 PM

My grandma used to bake fruitcake, always choosing fresh ingredients and it was delicious... but we all grew older and everyone around started avoiding sugar, fat and flour. :D

poli December 01, 2009 12:07 PM

You may want to add aguinaldo to the list

chileno December 01, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 63539)
Jingle is clearly onomatopoeic, and I would bet with pjt that jingle is an imperative in that annoying song. Having said that, Jingle bells (noun) is just as likely. In this particular case, I'm afraid I don't care much. :rolleyes:

Music historian James Fuld notes that the "the word jingle in the title and opening phrase is apparently an imperative verb."[3] However, it is commonly taken to mean a certain kind of bell.

So there we are. It is possible that at the time of writing the song, Pierpont meant the verb. On the basis of the expression in the song, the noun 'jingle bell' was invented, or just misunderstood. This is my theory, which is either brilliant, or total crap. :thinking::D

:D But I like your theory... :)

irmamar December 01, 2009 12:12 PM

¿Y el turrón? Do you know what "turrón" is? I don't think there is a word for turrón or for polvorones. ;)

chileno December 01, 2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 63581)
You may want to add aguinaldo to the list

That's a Christmas Bonus.

Nah, just add it to my pocket. :)

Noche buena = Christmas Eve

hermit December 01, 2009 01:06 PM

Fruitcake can last a very long time, especially if it's got enough rum or brandy in it.

It does keep amazingly well, anyway.

laepelba December 01, 2009 01:08 PM

There are much better ways of consuming rum or brandy............ ;):applause::eek::D:dancingman::wicked::whistling: :raisetheroof:

pjt33 December 01, 2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

It's possible that the 'sleigh' in 'sleigh bell' could be an adjective, a verb, or a noun.

I wouldn't hesitate to classify it as an NP := NP NP construction. A sleigh bell is a bell (N) which is attached (or designed to be attached) to a sleigh (N).

Quote:

Where by "present tense" you intend to imply also "indicative"? Interesting. I'm definitely resolved to ask a linguist for comment, because it's looking like an interesting question. My current operating theory is the same as Perikles'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 63559)

No conozco ningún villancico en español salvo algunas palabras de "Noche de paz". Si tuviera niños quizás tendría por que conocerlos, pero no estoy seguro si los niños cantan de emborracharse :D

No hay traducción para "turrón" ni "polvorones". Es que los conceptos no existen. (Además he descubierto que a la mayoría de mi familia no le gusta el turrón. A ver si este año llevo un paquete de polvorones conmigo cuando vaya a pasar la Navidad con ellos).

poli December 01, 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermit (Post 63616)
Fruitcake can last a very long time, especially if it's got enough rum or brandy in it.

And it can be used as a weapon

poli December 01, 2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 63586)
¿Y el turrón? Do you know what "turrón" is? I don't think there is a word for turrón or for polvorones. ;)

Turrones se vende aquí y torrone(turron italiano) tambien.

laepelba December 01, 2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 63487)
It's like pipe tobacco

In what way? That it is supposed to grow on you? Because I actually enjoy the scent of pipe tobacco, although I've never actually tried to smoke a pipe.

Quote:

@pjt33: Hmmm. I'm not a linguist, but for what's it's worth, here are my :twocents:

The noun 'jingle bell' is a particular type of bell. It is also known as a 'sleigh bell', which happens to be a noun composed of two words, too. It's possible that the 'sleigh' in 'sleigh bell' could be an adjective, a verb, or a noun. No dictionary I checked gave an etymology. It would be my guess that the 'jingle' in 'jingle bell' could also be an adjective, a verb, or a noun. The Random House dictionary says the word was coined around 1885.

Jingle bells can be bought in any city of America. You can buy a single bell, or you can buy them in a group. Many people hang them on walls, doors, doorknobs, or on a horse's harness.
Bands and orchestras buy a group of jingle bells mounted on a wood block with a handle. The percussionist holds the handle with one hand, the jingle bells hanging downward, and bounces the block into the palm of his/her other hand to make the bells ring.

Thanks for this breakdown, Rusty ... makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 63539)

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I thought it might be imperative in intent. But we have morphed it into a noun phrase. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 63559)
Día de Navidad o, simplemente, Navidad.

"Esta noche es Nochebuena
y mañana Navidad,
saca la bota María
que me voy a emborrachar.

Ande, ande, ande
la Marimorena,
ande, ande, ande
que es la Nochebuena"

Can you find a YouTube video of that carol? In fact, can anyone post links to (or embed) some YouTube videos of Spanish carols? That would be SO cool!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 63586)

No - can you describe these things? OOPS - spoke to soon. I just found "polvorón" in RAE. Here: http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...&LEMA=polvoron - sounds yummy!

irmamar December 02, 2009 01:32 AM

La Marimorena (en serio, sin la bota de María :D -there are several versions):

Turrón

http://figupolo.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/turron.jpg

Polvorones:

http://www.sanenrique.com/imagenes/c...mendra-met.jpg

Jubilee December 02, 2009 06:04 AM

Many thanks for this thread

irmamar December 02, 2009 06:30 AM

Yes, it's interesting. :)

Feliz September 02, 2010 10:25 PM

Christmas and New Year

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermit (Post 63616)

Ditto. Exactly what I was thinking--and have experienced personally.:)

Wolves83 February 27, 2011 07:06 PM

cool. I just learnt some new things today!

Esppiral October 17, 2012 10:38 AM

Paja-hay

JPablo October 24, 2012 11:44 AM

@Esppiral, al principio pensaba que decías que en este hilo "había paja"... (as in the thread full of "straw = rubbish") :eek: ... pero por fin me di cuenta de que decías, "paja = hay" :thumbsup:

¡Ay, ay, ay!

Yes, "paja = hay, straw" :)

Esppiral October 29, 2012 04:46 AM

Jaja vaya salidas tienes Jpablo xD