Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   3rd person singular only...... (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3089)

hola February 14, 2009 07:02 AM

3rd person singular only......

are these being used in the correct context? ser and/or estar (future tense)

estuviere solo si no se viene con nosotros
fuere soltero si no saldria con nadie

chileno February 14, 2009 07:39 AM

Hola Hola :-^)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hola (Post 26132)
are these being used in the correct context? ser and/or estar (future tense)

I do not remember anything (hardly) my grammar. However, I waould make a change in the second one in order for it to agree...

fuere soltero si no sale con nadie.

Why?

Because you used the present of venir in the first phrase. :-)

Now, there are several ways to say the same thing, but I bet you are not interested in that. You want to use future tense only.

I hope it helps.

Hernan.

Rusty February 14, 2009 08:47 AM

In case someone else wonders, neither of the sentences contains an indicative mood, future tense verb. They are subjunctive mood, future tense verbs.

The future subjunctive tense is all but dead in modern Spanish. Unless you're reading/studying old literature, it's unlikely you'll encounter it.
The future subjunctive has been replaced with the present subjunctive. (Likewise, the future perfect subjunctive has been replaced with the present perfect subjunctive.)

I don't see any reason to use the subjunctive in the first sentence. It looks like a statement of fact. So, I would use estará, or the simple future va a estar.

The second sentence also seems to be a statement of fact. If you don't go out with anyone you'll be single. (Si no sale con nadie, será soltero.)

¿Me equivoco?

CrOtALiTo February 14, 2009 09:26 AM

Yes. I believe that you are using correctly of the sentences.

But. I can give you some other examples.

Estuviera bien hoy si no hubiese comido chochinita.
Estaria en el partido si no hubiese gasta mi dinero.

I hope my examples can help you.

You can find a hard endeavor or effort when you try to find sentences related with your questions.

hola February 14, 2009 10:26 AM

no rusty you aren't wrong and ok the fact that rusty said he would have used ESTARA definitely tells me i am on to something. because i thought long and hard about using ESTARA but decided against it because they say when you are using or talking about hypothetical situations, you immediately go to the subjunctive. so that's what made me pick ESTUVIERE. and to chileno, yea i guess SALE would work too but i think that would definitely make it a statement of fact so that's why i didn't use it.