Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Que tiene (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5099)

bmarquis124 August 20, 2009 02:14 PM

Que tiene

so a customer walked up and i'm pretty sure she said qué tiene? that just means what do you have, as in, what are you selling right? or is there some other meaning? i know this is a dumb question but i froze and didn't know what to say so she ended up walking off.

CrOtALiTo August 20, 2009 02:42 PM

Yes, you're right, it means What do you have?

I don't find another meaning.

poli August 20, 2009 02:51 PM

Que tiene also means What's wrong? or What's wrong with you:o--especially when you say it this way: ¿Que tienes tú?

Jessica August 20, 2009 03:13 PM

that's right it means "What do you have".

bmarquis124 August 20, 2009 05:26 PM

I sure hope she didn't mean what's wrong with you!! I'm so mad at myself because this happens to me a lot. A customer will say something in Spanish and I know what they say and I know how to respond....but then I hesitate....and so I get stuck between saying lo siento no hablo español and answering the question....so it either comes out in inaudible Spanish snippets or in english. Either way they leave. It is so saddening :(

poli August 20, 2009 06:12 PM

Don't let people discourage you. If you are reaching out to them, and they
respond rudely, that's their problem. If someone asks you, "que tienes"
Answer "Muchas cosas. ¿Qué necesitas?

CrOtALiTo August 21, 2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarquis124 (Post 47006)
I sure hope she didn't mean what's wrong with you!! I'm so mad at myself because this happens to me a lot. A customer will say something in Spanish and I know what they say and I know how to respond....but then I hesitate....and so I get stuck between saying lo siento no hablo español and answering the question....so it either comes out in inaudible Spanish snippets or in english. Either way they leave. It is so saddening :(

Yes, I can understand your situation, but really if you've no idea above is telling the you the costumer, then you should to try understand the little Spanish that you have learn before, I believe that it could to work you as a little a fast practice also it can work as method to learning for you, don't worry really you have time although customer hasn't time, to think about the was wrong in that moment.;)

Tomisimo August 21, 2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarquis124 (Post 46985)
so a customer walked up and i'm pretty sure she said qué tiene? that just means what do you have, as in, what are you selling right? or is there some other meaning? i know this is a dumb question but i froze and didn't know what to say so she ended up walking off.

If she walked up to your stand/store and asked ¿Qué tiene?, yes she was asking what you have (to sell). As already mentioned, the phrase has other meanings as well:

¿Qué tiene? = What do you have?
¿Qué tiene? = What's wrong with you/that?

CrOtALiTo August 21, 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 47067)
If she walked up to your stand/store and asked ¿Qué tiene?, yes she was asking what you have (to sell). As already mentioned, the phrase has other meanings as well:

¿Qué tiene? = What do you have?
¿Qué tiene? = What's wrong with you/that?

Exactly really she was asking him, if he has something to show her. ( To sell )