Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   22 saucer escuadra? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=12402)

genhowe January 21, 2012 03:50 PM

22 saucer escuadra?

Hi. I would appreciate any suggestions on this phrase: 22 caliber pistol?
I don't know where "saucer" comes in. Is the author (Guatemalan) inserting an English term? Is this an automatic pistol or revolver? Many thanks.

chileno January 21, 2012 04:56 PM

:) :) :)

Rusty January 21, 2012 05:00 PM

The only thing the Spanish and English phrases have in common is the number 22. Neither is a translation of the other, in other words.

The Spanish word escuadra can mean 'squadron' (like a squadron of ships/saucers) or 'squad' (group of men in the army). Otherwise, it means a 'set square' (used to determine a square angle). Perhaps the author wanted to say a 'squadron of saucers', but there are perfectly good Spanish words for that.

Don José January 21, 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Hi. I would appreciate any suggestions on this phrase: 22 caliber pistol?
I don't know where "saucer" comes in.
Neither do I. And what about "escuadra"?

"Pistola del calibre 22" is what we would say here.

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 21, 2012 06:37 PM

If it's just a generic name for a gun, then it's like the other users have replied. But "Saucer" looks to me like a brand (toy brand maybe?)
If it's on a list, maybe "22" is just the number of items in an inventory.

Perhaps if you could provide the context where you found it we might give more accurate answers... :thinking:

caliber1 January 21, 2012 08:31 PM

I'm a big gun guy and I talk with a Mexican guy at work often about guns and hunting. He always refers to the caliber with the literal number in Spanish. A .308 rifle would be a tres-cero-ocho, a .45 pistol would be a cuarenta y cinco, and so on. The word "caliber" is not really used that I can recall :thinking:. Hope that helps. :twocents:

pinosilano January 22, 2012 06:45 AM

Una escuadra de fútbol está compuesta de 22 jugadores:
11 titulares, 11 reservas.

Soccer = fútbol.

Saucer = platillo.

¿Y si el guatemalteco se refería a una 'escuadra' de fútbol y puso 'saucer' e cambio de 'soccer? :thinking:

Don José January 22, 2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliber1 (Post 121028)
I'm a big gun guy and I talk with a Mexican guy at work often about guns and hunting. He always refers to the caliber with the literal number in Spanish. A .308 rifle would be a tres-cero-ocho, a .45 pistol would be a cuarenta y cinco, and so on. The word "caliber" is not really used that I can recall :thinking:. Hope that helps. :twocents:

I know nearly nothing about guns but I've heard both "del calibre X" and "del X".
Searching in Google, you can find both "pistola del 22" and "pistola del calibre 22".
However, I understand that gun guys, applying the economy in language, omit that "caliber" that is not needed.

Thomas January 22, 2012 04:19 PM

escuadra = semi-automatic pistol

In Costa Rica, a .22 calibre firearm shoots "U22". I have no idea where the "U" comes from, but the term is widely used.

"Saucer" is weird. I've never heard of a manufacturer called that. Could be....

genhowe January 22, 2012 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone. The phrase definitely refers to a gun, an "arma" carried by a woman in her purse. I will eventually have a chance to talk with the person who wrote this and will let you know what I find out. Thanks again for your help!