Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Rain check (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1227)

Alfonso May 01, 2008 06:55 AM

Rain check

I received this e-mail, and I don't understand what a rain check is:

I´m sorry but I´ll have to cancel lunch on Friday, can I take a rain check please?
Kisses.
-------

Can anyone help me?

Iris May 01, 2008 07:30 AM

Can I have a rain check? means can we do it another day? Can we put it off? It's a very common expression. By the way, should I be jealous?:(

Iris May 01, 2008 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 7463)
I received this e-mail, and I don't understand what a rain check is:

I´m sorry but I´ll have to cancel lunch on Friday, can I take a rain check please?
Kisses.

-------

Can anyone help me?

Just two tiny corrections.

Rusty May 01, 2008 07:39 AM

What Iris said is completely correct. That is what the saying means, even in the 'can I take a rain check' form.

A rain check itself is a vale in Spanish. Here in the states a rain check can be given to a customer when he comes to buy something on sale in a store, but the store has run out of the item. The rain check is a voucher or a promissory note that allows the customer to get the item at the sales price when it is back in stock.

Alfonso May 01, 2008 08:25 AM

Thanks a lot, Rusty and Iris. I see this lady thinks I'm a store. Next will be to ask for a complaint form.

Sure, Iris, you got it. But, remember, each week has got seven days and seven nights. :rolleyes:

Tomisimo May 01, 2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 7482)
Thanks a lot, Rusty and Iris. I see this lady thinks I'm a store.

That phrase is actually really common, and it's used in a figurative sense all the time like in the email you got.

Me da pena pero tendré que cancelar [nuestra cita/la comida] el viernes, [pero vamos a planear hacerlo en otra ocación/pero vamos a ver cuándo podemos hacerlo].

Tomisimo May 01, 2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 7482)
Next will be to ask for a complaining sheet.

I suspect you're referring to the little form that many stores have, where you can fill out your complaints, comments etc for the store and either deposit it in a box or send it back in the mail. If that is the case, I think it would be called a complaint form, suggestion form, feedback form, evaluation form, or something of the like. Does anyone know what those forms are really called?

Rusty May 01, 2008 08:40 AM

All the above. Son encuestas, ¿no?

Alfonso May 01, 2008 08:47 AM

En español son hojas de reclamaciones. I've seen hundreds of times these at bars, restaurants, hotels... As Spain is a very touristic country, it's obligatory to have these hojas de reclamaciones or complaint forms in every bussiness, although it's not always so.
I think the word is complaint form, can anyone confirm it? Thanks a lot.

Rusty May 01, 2008 08:56 AM

Yes, complaint forms is correct.
A little nicer way to say it is 'suggestion form'.