Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My Family thinks this place is a "chatting" place (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3285)

Jessica March 06, 2009 06:45 PM

My Family thinks this place is a "chatting" place

My parents and brothers don't understand what "threads" are and I don't know how to explain it to them. They think we chat here and it's bad and I should never go on here.
I know the comments are a "chatting" thing but as long as I'm not giving away personal info what's wrong with it? and especially my mom. She doesn't like this place, no matter what, even though it helps with my Spanish. One thing she especially doesn't like is "General Chat". She also says that I shouldn't annonce things to other people.
She also said that my "friends" on here -- I shouldn't be friends with them.

What should I do??

Rusty March 06, 2009 07:24 PM

This topic comes up often at your house.
Listen to your family's real concerns.
Show them what you're doing here. Let them see your threads, your posts and others' replies. Let them see your profile comments. If they can see that your time is well spent, they may change their opinion. If they still disapprove, you should respect their opinion.
You might ask them what you could change to keep on learning with us after they see what you're doing. If they tell you to spend less time, cut down on the questions and refrain from chatting. If they take exception to particular members or certain things, make sure you remedy the problems.
The forums can be a good place to learn, but only if your usage is conducive to learning. :)

CrOtALiTo March 06, 2009 07:41 PM

Yes. I think that you should explain them the motive for the which you are here in this forums. You may explain them that you here coming to learn not chatting anyone. This a community to friends. As you know anyone has bad intentions with anyone.

Please you should to speak with them about this place.

I think that you would can invite to your mon to watch the threads of the forums. So you can show her that this places does not a place with bad intentions.

sosia March 07, 2009 05:10 AM

Let them visit the place and read all.
If they still doesn't approve, you should respect their opinion.
You can also reduce the amount of time you spend here, perhaps they think you spend too much time.
Saludos :D

CrOtALiTo March 07, 2009 09:00 AM

In fact. She spend much time here posting with our. I believe that me, Rusty, Sosia everyone spends time at Tomisimo. Because it like us.

Don't worry. Yours problems soon will be resolve.

Sincerely yours.

Jessica March 08, 2009 06:23 PM

she doesn't like our threads and posts. especially the non-Spanish ones.

sosia March 09, 2009 07:07 AM

Then you must only see the Spanish ones and forget the non-spanish ones.....
saludos :D

Fazor March 09, 2009 08:38 AM

Jchen, comunicación de Internet está algo que nuestros padres no tenían cuando ellos estaban joven. El Internet tiene una reputación mal porqué está un instrumento por predadoras.

Pero el Internet está un instrumento de conocimientos tambien. Sí tú usas cautela y buen juicio, puedas aprendes mucho.

Yo no sé cómo comfortar tus padres. Hable con ellos y pirmita ellos a participar con tú.

Rusty March 09, 2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 28312)
Jchen, la comunicación por Internet es algo que nuestros padres no tenían cuando eran joven. El Internet tiene una mala reputación porqué es un instrumento de los predadores.

Pero el Internet es un instrumento de conocimientos también. Si tú usas cautela y buen juicio, puedes aprender mucho.

(Yo) No sé cómo pacificar a tus padres. Habla con ellos e invítalos a participar contigo.

Corrections/suggestions above.

lee ying March 09, 2009 12:09 PM

Hi, jchen, my dad thinks the same , But I sat. I need to learn and practice my english because is very important for my career. That´s why I come here and I try to improve my englsih. Nobody is here is here to do anything bad:
About chatting sometimes , we have questions about others countries that´s why we ask something about other countries, for example. to know cultures , foods festivals days, something like that.
You might talk to yours parents and consider them. .I should say why you´re here?*_*