Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Recommendations wanted: Spanish Movies with Subtitles (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=12289)

pfq January 05, 2012 04:21 AM

Recommendations wanted: Spanish Movies with Subtitles

Hi all,

I'd like to watch some Spanish movies in order to supplement my Spanish learning (for the bilingual benefits as well as being able to travel around Latin America)

The movies should 1) have versions with English subtitles and 2) Be relatively free of thick accents. For example I've read that Argentinians speak Spanish in a difficult way, and am not ready for this.

What movies would you recommend from the following genres:

Action
Adventure
Biography
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Fantasy
History
Horror
Mystery
Sci-Fi
Thriller
War
Western

List as many as you feel like, Thanks!

Don José January 05, 2012 04:41 AM

As you want to travel to Latin America, I think Mexican films by Buñuel can be appropiate:

If you click in 65 videos, you can watch more.

Jessica January 05, 2012 05:22 AM

Have you watched Como Agua Para Chocolate (note: Rated R)

Perikles January 05, 2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don José (Post 120368)
If you click in 65 videos, you can watch more.

I'm feeling stupid. Can you explain what this means? :thinking::thinking:

poli January 05, 2012 06:43 AM

What you have heard about Argentinian movies is not really true. Often
the actors, many of whom with stage experience, speak clearly. The accent is a little different but very understandable. If your're a movie fan, you'll be missing out if you skip Argentina. In the past decade, there was an Argentine movie call "El Perro". I would recommend it. Besides being a fine movie well acted. The story was compelling and the Spanish was clear and simple.

What really confuses me you are films starring the Mexican comedian Cantínflas. He was famous for jumbling Spanish in funny way (cantinflando). What gets me to see his movies is his jokes are funny, and sometimes I understand them. Subtitles don't work because the word play wont translate.

Peter January 05, 2012 06:55 AM

I think it would be a pity if you weren't to watch Argentinian movies. I think Argentina has the second largest hispanophone film industry. Their accent isn't really all that difficult, and you don't want to skip Argentina when traveling in South-America..

Try 'La Historia Oficial'

Ah. Poli beat me to it.. I agree with him completely

Don José January 06, 2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 120370)
I'm feeling stupid. Can you explain what this means? :thinking::thinking:

Sorry. You have to watch the video in YouTube: click on "YouTube" ( in the lower right corner of the video screen I linked). Then, under the title, you have a button (65 or n videos) that will show you the videos uploaded by the user.

I hope you feel better. :)

CrOtALiTo January 06, 2012 11:26 PM

I think that is because there're several ways to speak the same language each country that speak Spanish the language is accented very different, at least the Spanish is complicate for nature.

wolfie January 24, 2012 06:54 PM

this might be a bit obvious, but pan's labrynth? i love it :p also volver? both are good movies and set in spain.

caliber1 January 24, 2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfie (Post 121159)
this might be a bit obvious, but pan's labrynth? i love it :p also volver? both are good movies and set in spain.

Absolutely!!! I would rate this movie in my top ten foreign films ever watched. . . . . . . . :impatient:And yes I've seen more than ten of them :lol: