Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Other Languages (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bilingualism (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1380)

Iris May 29, 2008 01:39 PM

Bilingualism

Do you think bilingualism is a good think or it might damage a child's normal linguistic development?(I know I'm asking lots of stupid questions, but there was nothing new going on...)

poli May 29, 2008 02:01 PM

I have always thought that being multilingual is a mind expanding. It's learning new routes to the same destination, but of course it's what you make of it. Some people may be overwhelmed when given different options,but I would like to hear a convincing argument against it.

sosia May 29, 2008 03:10 PM

It's dangerous to know more than one sport?
It's dangerous to know science and literature?
It's dangerous to know three different programming languages?
If you learn it right, it's an advantage.
saludos :D

Rusty May 29, 2008 04:49 PM

Coincido. In my opinion, bringing up a child in a bilingual environment is nothing but good for him/her.

sknepper May 29, 2008 07:22 PM

I feel like the more languages I study, the worse my english gets lol.

Mi chiamo scottesco. Tanto piacere.

Elaina May 30, 2008 01:37 PM

I think that children, at a very young age, should be exposed to a 2nd language. But I believe that they must be taught the language correctly.

Elaina:applause:

Tomisimo May 30, 2008 06:17 PM

At the moment I can't cite any specific sources, but I've read different linguistic studies and books concerning bilingualism, and it's demonstrated that 2, 3, or 4 languages from birth does not harm the child in any way. Exposure to several languages (or just two), in fact might cause the child to be more intelligent by forcing him to be more observant and recognize differences between languages. At first a baby/toddler how is learning more than one language will not differentiate between them and use words from both indiscriminately, but at a very young age, the brain realizes they are distinct systems.

CrOtALiTo May 31, 2008 10:38 AM

Hello, friends.

I think about this thread, that probably, when the child is in a stage very hearly, the child learn the languages that his parests is speaking in the moment, because, I think it, that if the parents of the child, they speaking two language and the child the hear them, the child will learn both language, because the child in very intelligent, when is very young, the child need learn some words for that, he need give some things, as water, milk, ect.., then if the child still, he doesn't learn not any language, he cannot communicate with his parents, then the child has problems for learn not only the language if in a lot of things, and the child need help professional.

I hope all you be well.

I await your corrections.

I will see you the monday again have a good weekend in your countries,bye, bye

gomey May 31, 2008 02:22 PM

From my own personal experience, we moved to Chicago when I was 10 years old and had gone through 5th grade in Puerto Rico. I spoke very, very little English, if any. In six months I was fluent in English because my parents reinforced to us to speak English while outside the home and Spanish only when speaking to them. I served as their translator for any official business and I was very proud to be of such grown-up help. I do not think being bilingual has adversely affected me, on the contrary, it has opened many opportunities I would not otherwise have had.

Iris May 31, 2008 03:08 PM

I agree with you all. I think bilingualism is an enriching experience but I wanted to know what you thought. Thanks for your answers.:)