Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Campanas al vuelo (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=22811)

Stu November 29, 2017 11:31 PM

Campanas al vuelo

Line from a popular song

Yo soy una mujer de campanas al vuelo
translated as "I'm a woman of flying bells"

I would expect "bells of flight" to be
campanas de vuelo
That would be a non-specific flight, so why the definite article?
Why "al" and not "del"

More generally when would you use "al" in such a context?

wrholt November 30, 2017 02:27 PM

"(las) campanas al vuelo" appears to be a set expression in Spanish, related to "echar/lanzar las campanas al vuelo" = "to celebrate". A better translation for this line might be "I'm a woman (who is) celebrating (something".

Tomisimo December 04, 2017 08:20 AM

If we go with the figurative meaning, I would suggest:

"Yo soy una mujer de campanas al vuelo"
"I'm a woman who loves celebrating"

ROBINDESBOIS December 06, 2017 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 172203)
If we go with the figurative meaning, I would suggest:

"Yo soy una mujer de campanas al vuelo"
"I'm a woman who loves celebrating"

This expression is usually used in a specific context trying to ask the person to be prudent because you celebate sth beforehand.
No lances campanas al vuelo tan pronto.

Tomisimo December 07, 2017 10:51 AM

If that's the case, then it might be similar to "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 07, 2017 01:01 PM

@David: That's right, when it's a warning. It may also be similar to "del plato a la boca se cae la sopa". :)

@Stu: The expression "lanzar/echar campanas al vuelo", as Wrholt correctly said, it's a set expression.
When the church bells were the most important form of communicating events to the community, the way they were played sent a message for the people --alarm sound, death announcement, regional celebration, religious service call, etc. Their balancing in the air as they were played is what is called "vuelo".
"Campanas del vuelo" makes no sense, because the activity of flying can't be related as being owner or to be made of bells, which is what I'd think of when using the preposition "de". In any case, it would be the other way round: "vuelo de campanas", which would refer to their being played. :)

As for the song, the expression wouldn't make much sense to me; but in context, "soy una mujer de campanas al vuelo" means that she is a strong, determined woman who will not accept to be mistreated.

ROBINDESBOIS December 16, 2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 172275)
If that's the case, then it might be similar to "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

exactly

Stu January 10, 2018 09:17 PM

Thank you that is clear

Stu January 10, 2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 172277)

As for the song, the expression wouldn't make much sense to me; but in context, "soy una mujer de campanas al vuelo" means that she is a strong, determined woman who will not accept to be mistreated.

Thank you that fits well with the song, but it takes a leap to get there.