Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   de la ceca a la meca (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11080)

poli June 09, 2011 10:07 AM

de la ceca a la meca

I think it means to go every which way. I would like to know if the term
is Spain specific.

irmamar June 09, 2011 10:12 AM

I guess you mean "De la ceca a la meca". :thinking: :)

I don't know if it is used in other countries.

aleCcowaN June 09, 2011 10:39 AM

It's used here in Argentina to describe toing and froing, the labyrinthic ways of bureaucracy, and those hectic ways of life that make people to bounce like if they be making* delivering for UPS. I'm afraid it's a little bit dated and I very seldom use or hear the expression nowadays.

*Is that "subjunctive" OK?

chileno June 09, 2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 111958)
It's used here in Argentina to describe toing and froing, the labyrinthic ways of bureaucracy, and those hectic ways of life that make people to bounce like if they be making* delivering for UPS. I'm afraid it's a little bit dated and I very seldom use or hear the expression nowadays.

In Chile too.

Use the subjuntive "were"

Or ..."they be making it for UPS"

Or "they be making the delivery for UPS"

Luna Azul June 09, 2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 111954)
I guess you mean "De la ceca a la meca". :thinking: :)

I don't know if it is used in other countries.

Yes, it is used in Latin America also.

"Anduve de la ceca a la meca buscando unos zapatos que me gustaran"

Encontré algo interesante -la parte subrayada- en Wikipedia sobre este tipo de términos:

"Se trata simplemente de dos palabras empleadas como adverbio de lugar, palabras que suenan bien y que se emplean para enfatizar como tantas otras, por ejemplo, oxte ni moxte, el oro y el moro, tiquis-miquis, teje-maneje, troche y moche... Los lingüistas hacen la observación de que casi siempre la segunda palabra empieza por m".

@Poli: Sorry I switched languages.. :o. You weren't wrong, except for the word order. In Don Quixote, which is one of the first places where this term is used, the articles are not used: "De ceca en meca" (en instead of a).

I love languages and their intricacies!!!! :D

;)

poli June 09, 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 111958)

I agree with el chileno but wish to make additional clarifications:
...hectic ways of life that make people bounce around like they were (as if they were is better) making deliveries for UPS.

like they be makin' deliveries for UPS is an African American usage very common in the U.S. but not standard.

aleCcowaN June 09, 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 111960)
In Chile too.

Use the subjuntive "were"

Or ..."they be making it for UPS"

Or "they be making the delivery for UPS"

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 111962)
...hectic ways of life that make people bounce around like they were (as if they were is better) making deliveries for UPS.

like they be makin' deliveries for UPS is an African American usage very common in the U.S. but not standard

Thank you both. I really appreciate it.

chileno June 09, 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 111962)

like they be makin' deliveries for UPS is an African American usage very common in the U.S. but not standard.

You're right. I didn't read the whole sentence... :)

And you're welcome aleC.