Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Other Languages (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   accents (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1510)

Marsopa June 20, 2008 08:48 AM

accents

Speaking of accents (I was just reading the rest of yesterday's thread), do you native Spanish speakers find a particular foreign accent in your language "ugly."

I was just wondering because to me, to hear Spanish spoken with a heavily American accent sounds really bad.

Does it to you all? Or is there some other accent that is more annoying?

Thanks,

Marsopa

Tomisimo June 20, 2008 09:36 AM

I know what you mean Marsopa. I think a heavy American accent when speaking Spanish sounds bad, but that's probably because that's the very accent I have tried so hard to erase from my own speech. On the other hand, I once knew a French woman who was in a Spanish class with me and her French accent while speaking Spanish was quite intriguing. An American accent when speaking Spanish may be interesting to, say, a German.

I actually don't mind a bad accent in any language, but what I can't stand is if the person doesn't care and has absolutely no desire to improve their accent.

María José June 20, 2008 09:39 AM

Spanish spoken with a heavy American accent sounds unbelievably sweet...

Alfonso June 21, 2008 09:38 AM

I agree the point is not to erase completely your accent because it sounds ugly (it doesn't sounds ugly!), but to improve it to make yourself more fluent on the language. By the way, I've got a French aunt who's been living in Spain for maybe 40 years who hasn't lost her French accent. It sounds OK to me. If someday she spoke to me in a clear and unpolluted Spanish I will think my aunt has been taken by an alien.

poli June 25, 2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 10945)
I agree the point is not to erase completely your accent because it sounds ugly (it doesn't sound ugly!), but to improve it,and to make yourself more fluent in the language. By the way, I've got a French aunt who's been living in Spain for maybe 40 years who hasn't lost her French accent. It sounds OK to me. If someday she speaks to me in a clear and unpolluted Spanish I will think my aunt had been taken by an alien.

Estoy de acuerdo, los acentos pueden sonar bellos, misteriosos, graciosos feos, cómicos, incomprehensivos. A veces puedo distinguir un acento en el modo que una persona escribe. Estoy casi seguro que mi modo de escribir español muestra un acento. Quedo sorprendido que el accento americana suena bien, pero depende en la persona que lo usa. El acento John Wayne en español me parece muy desagradable.

María José June 25, 2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 11095)
Estoy de acuerdo, los acentos pueden sonar bellos, misteriosos, graciosos feos, cómicos, incomprehensivos. A veces puedo distinguir un acento en el modo que una persona escribe. Estoy casi seguro que mi modo de escribir español muestra un acento. Quedo sorprendido que el accento americana suena bien, pero depende en la persona que lo usa. El acento John Wayne en español me parece muy desagradable.

I kind of imagine you as having a sweet accent :pelota::pelota: .And what kind of accent do I have then?

poli June 25, 2008 08:48 AM

Imagino que hablas con un accento inglés con un mínimo susurro de
español.

María José June 25, 2008 09:25 AM

People usually say Irish or (surprise, surprise) American...

poli June 25, 2008 09:51 AM

Some people cannot identify my accent. They know it's foreign though.

Elaina June 25, 2008 09:48 PM

I love accents!! I try to imagine where people are from by their accent. Unfortunately, I have been told I don't have an accent in English or Spanish so they have to guess by my looks if I am American or of Hispanic descent. There's just no mystery to that..:(

I imagined Gemma with an accent but for some reason I didn't think Poli would have one..... I do imagine Alfonso with an accent though.....but I also imagine him in a smoking jacket, smoking a pipe, sitting in his library and being surrounded by stiff intellectuals. I think he lets loose with us.:eek:

Rusty....I imagine him with a slight accent when he speaks Spanish, I envision him as a down to earth kinda guy!:thumbsup:

David reminds me of that chef that has lived in Mexico for years and has now adopted many of the customs of Mexico and its gastronomical faire...

I know, I must be rambling....I am tired but have to work another hour. Bear with me.

Elaina:rolleyes:;):p