Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The United Kingdom explained (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=10129)

pjt33 February 04, 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 104663)
Vale, se ve que es hora de ir a dormir. :o :D

¿Sin cenar? Te castigas demasiado por una simple repetición...

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 04, 2011 04:59 PM

@Irma: I was only agreeing. ;)

irmamar February 14, 2011 05:52 AM

(pjt, ya había cenado. :D ). Y sorry, Angelica, I don't have time to read all threads. :sad:

Pregunta: ¿Qué es Britain? Mi libro a veces habla de Britain (por ejemplo, "the 1960s in Britain"), no dice "Great Britain". ¿Es todo el Reino Unido?, ¿es sólo Inglaterra, Escocia y el País de Gales? :thinking:

poli February 14, 2011 06:46 AM

When I hear the word Britain or British, I associate it primarily with England or English. Great Britain includes Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Perikles February 14, 2011 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 105350)
Pregunta: ¿Qué es Britain? Mi libro a veces habla de Britain (por ejemplo, "the 1960s in Britain"), no dice "Great Britain". ¿Es todo el Reino Unido?, ¿es sólo Inglaterra, Escocia y el País de Gales? :thinking:

I attach a diagram of the British Isles as a complicated explanation.

Britain can be used loosely to mean the U.K. If I were asked my nationality, I would have to say "citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" In fact, on any official form where they give you a tiny space to write it, I always write it like that.

My passport has the title "Passport of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", yet inside on the photo page, the nationality is given as "British Citizen"

Culturally and to some extent legally, Northern Ireland has little in common with the rest of the UK, so Britain can also be to mean the rest of the UK without it.

On the other hand, the British Parliament does not have total jurisdiction over Scotland and Wales, so to some extent, British can mean mainly English, but not entirely.

So depending on context, Britain can mean 1) the whole of the UK, 2) England Scotland and Wales 3) Mainly England.

irmamar February 14, 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 105360)
I attach a diagram of the British Isles as a complicated explanation.

Britain can be used loosely to mean the U.K. If I were asked my nationality, I would have to say "citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" In fact, on any official form where they give you a tiny space to write it, I always write it like that.

My passport has the title "Passport of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", yet inside on the photo page, the nationality is given as "British Citizen"

Culturally and to some extent legally, Northern Ireland has little in common with the rest of the UK, so Britain can also be to mean the rest of the UK without it.

On the other hand, the British Parliament does not have total jurisdiction over Scotland and Wales, so to some extent, British can mean mainly English, but not entirely.

So depending on context, Britain can mean 1) the whole of the UK, 2) England Scotland and Wales 3) Mainly England.

Beautifu diagram, is this yours? :thinking:

I don't think context helps very much. :thinking:

Thank you anyway. :) :rose:

Perikles February 14, 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 105375)
I don't think context helps very much. :thinking:

If you treat "Britain" as shorthand for the UK, you won't be far wrong. Only in very few cases would it be contrasted with the UK as a whole including Northern Ireland. If you are reading British history, then you must consider whether it includes Southern Ireland as well, which depends on the date. :)

irmamar February 14, 2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 105383)
If you treat "Britain" as shorthand for the UK, you won't be far wrong. Only in very few cases would it be contrasted with the UK as a whole including Northern Ireland. If you are reading British history, then you must consider whether it includes Southern Ireland as well, which depends on the date. :)

OK, the two World Wars. Ireland should be included in the first, but not in the second, I guess. Thank you. :)