Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Teaching and Learning Techniques (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Which dictionary to use? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1327)

MonteChristo May 18, 2008 02:09 PM

Which dictionary to use?

I have the Larousse Concise spanish english dictionary. It had good reviews on Amazon.com and it's seems ok. Anyone have a favorite they would like to share?

MC

Iris May 18, 2008 03:37 PM

I always tell my students to go to a bookshop and have a look at all the available dictionaries and then to choose the one they feel most comfortable with.
I think it's important to have not only a bilingual dictionary, but also a good monolingual one in the language you are learning.

Jane May 18, 2008 05:56 PM

I use HARRAP´S and HARPER-COLLINS, but its important to find out which one works well for you, one that comes, as my Mum loved to say, ...in a language that you will understand.
No two dictionaries are the same. They might say the same things but words are explained differenty, examples expressed in different ways...
Quote:

I think it's important to have not only a bilingual dictionary, but also a good monolingual one in the language you are learning.
That´s a good point, Iris.
It really helps.

Tomisimo May 18, 2008 09:13 PM

I just stood up and went to count how many dictionaries I have, and I stopped after I counted eleven. On one hand it's good to have a wide selection of dictionaries, since each one is different. Each one has different words, nuances, a focus on different regional usages etc. On the other hand, I'll recommend two dictionaries in particular. I have the Harper-Collins Unabridged Spanish dictionary published a few years ago, there's probably a newer edition available. It's up-to-date and fairly exhaustive. Here's a link to the seventh edition on Amazon. I have the fifth ed. There are very few words I haven't been able to find in it. The second dictionary I would recommend is a smaller paperback, and although it's fairly thick, it's also fairly portable and surprisingly complete. It's the New World Spanish Dictionary, edited by Salvatore Ramondino. Amazon link here. These two have been my mainstays. I also agree that a regular dictionary for the target language (words + definitions, not a bilingual dictionary) is very important.

Iris May 19, 2008 01:29 AM

Jane, David. Thanks for agreeing with me.(Don't let anybody know I pay you) I do believe that a good monolingual dictionary is a great learning tool.

Jane May 19, 2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iris (Post 8782)
Jane, David. Thanks for agreeing with me.(Don't let anybody know I pay you).

But you don´t...:mad:
(Sorry, sweetheart, I couldn´t help it);):love:

poli May 19, 2008 05:18 AM

I agree with what others have said about Harper Collins' Spanish-English
Dictionary. Although no dictionary has it all, Harper Collins has more than others I've seen.
I love Tomísimo's dictionary because, besides being a very good dictionary, it links to RAE

Tomisimo May 19, 2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 8788)
I love Tomísimo's dictionary because, besides being a very good dictionary, it links to RAE

You're going to make me blush.

Iris May 19, 2008 07:19 AM

And we found the English-speaking pelota!

Marsopa May 19, 2008 09:58 AM

Oxford

I have the Harper Collins, the LaRousse, and the Oxford and Oxford is definitely my favorite.

I wore out the first one (dropped it a few times), so I recently bought a new one and I use both in different rooms. I have the habit of needing a dictionary right away...lol