Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recommended apps for vocabulary? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=21896)

guycoh March 29, 2017 06:46 AM

Recommended apps for vocabulary?

Hey, new here :)

Wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a good Spanish vocabulary app.
Was probably asked before but an up to date answer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Aprendo April 17, 2017 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guycoh (Post 166041)
Hey, new here :)

Wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a good Spanish vocabulary app.
Was probably asked before but an up to date answer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No one has responded so I'll be an answer (that unfortunately is not about learning vocabulary from apps).

It's just my opinion of course.

Worth noting (perhaps) is that I'm in my mid-40s (some may think I'm 'old school?') and have studied 3 language at class and with private tutors at length (minimum 3 years of study).

I don't believe in apps for learning vocab.

When I am reading or listening or in class and learn a new vocabulary word I write in my mini-notebook with a definintion.

Later, I write a sentence using this new word and personalize it (relate it to my experience, thinking, life, etc). I even write joke sentences and stupid sentences. It helps me remember it easier (not learning vocab in isolation).

About 6 months I bought a digital recorder and started recording vocab as well as sentences.

I review a lot.

I also write grammar sentences (for example, focusing on the Imperfect Past Subjuntive) using the new and old vocab to help put it into long term memory.

I have tried a couple of the famous apps available for vocab.

Too me it took too long and was a useless "bell & whistle."

Just my opinion.

pinosilano June 28, 2017 01:18 PM

Otra manera: al salir de casa mira a tu alrededor y traduce el nombre de las cosas que ves en el idioma que estás aprendiendo. Enriquece el vocabulario y lo memorizas mucho mejor que leyendo. Y con tu vocabulario haz algunas pruebas con los sugerimientos de Aprendo.:dancingman:
Suerte.

movedtospain2017 July 18, 2017 04:36 AM

I like to use Babbel when I'm on the bus. It's good because it has some little quizzes after each lesson.

masqcrew July 19, 2017 02:45 PM

There's an app for that!

I've tried DuoLingo, and while it was fun at first, it got kind of old after a while. I agree with the comment above that building your own vocabulary to study is much better.

And there is an app for that.

I've been using the android version of Anki for a few days now. You can download lists from other users, but I prefer to study vocab that I come up with. BTW, it's a flashcard program that is designed to help you remember what you are just about to forget...so it has a few nice bells and whistles. You can use media with it as well: pictures and audio.