Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Suggestions & Feedback (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best forum software (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=389)

Tomisimo August 23, 2006 11:46 AM

Best forum software

Right now this forum is running on SMF forums software which is a free product. I've been having a few issues with it, and I'm considering changing over to some other forum software. I'd like your input if you have an opinion. I'd like to get moved over to a more permanent solution before this forum gets more popular, because I have a feeling it's not going to be that easy to import all the users/posts etc that there are right now into a new software product.

Here are the programs I'm considering ATM.

PhpBB2 - Free, with some security issues
VBulletin - Not free (actually quite expensive $160), but with a great track record for security and great features. This already has an import utility to import from SMF.
Lussimo vanilla - Free, looks good but it's a largely untested program.

If you have an opinion on which one I should go with, or if you would like to suggest a different piece of software, please do :)

ibenwak August 23, 2006 03:13 PM

Re: Best forum software

About the only thing I can offer is:

They all have their little gliches, even Vbulletin. I googled a few sites that use Vanilla and they all give it high ratings overall. But if you're really set on making this forum a permanent and ever-expanding fixture, I suppose the expense of Vbulletin would have to be considered less of a factor than its real-dollar cost.

Tomisimo August 23, 2006 03:19 PM

Thanks for the input. I agree with you for the most part. I've been leaning towards vBulletin for some time now, I like their feature set and the fact that they contiunally improve/develop/secure their product. They also have a new plugins system where it's really easy (so I've heard) to make plugins/templates without touching the php files, making upgrading a breeze. I'd like to try out their plugin framework and make a plugin for spell-checking posts, or adding Spanish diacriticals etc.

Vanilla looks really promising, but I don't think it's matured yet enough. IMO, it would be a much better product right now if they integrated the 30 most popular extentions they have and made them part of the core software. I posted on that over at the Vanilla forums. Anyway, I will probably go with vBulletin despite the cost, but I might have to hold off for a bit longer. Anyway, thanks for the input. Anyone else have an opinion?

Archemorus September 06, 2006 06:11 PM

Invision Power Board is a good one, it's also got a lot of free add-ons to add just about any feature you could want. but a Permanent License costs $130. ^^;;;

Tomisimo September 07, 2006 04:01 PM

Have you had experience managing a board that uses IPB? I've heard good things about it, but I've also heard that VB is really good. At least it seems that VB is more popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Archemorus September 07, 2006 05:25 PM

Heh, I run an Ipb forum for some people. ^^ It's a great, great forum software.

Tomisimo September 07, 2006 06:00 PM

Great! Thanks Archemorus, I'm going to consider it. Would you say IPB is better than vB?

Zach October 26, 2006 05:49 PM

Whatever you do, stay far away from e107. I've had nothing but problems, problems, problems with it.

Tomisimo October 26, 2006 06:49 PM

I hadn't heard of e107 before, but I just looked at their site. It looks pretty good (for looking at it for 5 seconds), but I think I'll stick with a standard forum package. I've pretty much decided for vBulletin. I'm just waiting for the money to be available. :) Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Zach November 03, 2006 07:29 PM

It is very feature-packed and quite good software...but I had nonstop database issues when I had it (a few months ago). They may have fixed them by now, though. Anyways, good luck with getting vBulletin..I'd love to help you out financially but I'm a bit in a hole myself. :-\